[8]

Benny's is always quiet this early on a Sunday. Most people on Sundays are either too hungover to get up and go for food, or they're about an hour into church. I know that if my mom and dad weren't working they'd be at church. My brother and I used to go, but when soccer started to become my priority and little league matches were every Sunday, I stopped going, Will too.

My mom and dad used to rotate who'd take me to my games, although it used to be my dad more often than not. He goes to church because he wants to spend time with my mom, and well my mom goes to church because she believes in God. I don't have the heart to tell her that I don't m, so I still let her drag me along to important holiday services like Christmas and Easter.

Mackenzie and I are sitting in her car, a quick flick of her wrist has the car engine dying and the heater switching off, reminding me of how cold I am. I hug my arms to my chest as Mackenzie leans across the console of her car and into the back seat, her sweater riding up to reveal the toned, sunkissed skin of her abdomen. I tear my eyes away before I get caught, my neck blushing red at the thought of being caught checking her out sober.

I'd have no excuse like I did last night when we were dancing.

"Here." She says when she spins back into her seat, seemingly unaware of my wandering eyes. She passes me a plain black hoodie, the tassles slightly frayed but the fabric still soft. I look at her and than her gratefully as I pull it over my head, trying desperately to ignore the fact it smells just like her. It smells like coconut and vanilla, her fruity perfume and laundry detergent, a combination I find has a smile tugging at my lips. "I couldn't have your teeth chattering, it puts me off my food."

I roll my eyes as we get out of the car, the sound of Mackenzie's laugh following us. She locks her car and jogs to catch up with me, matching my stride as I bury my face into the hoodie, the cool wind of the morning chilling the skin of my face, not that it's doing anything to ward off the nipping wind as it blows against my bare legs. I wish I had taken my leggings to April's because then I wouldn't be shivering.

The bell over Benny's front door chimes as we walk in, the scent of frying breakfast food invaded my nostrils and makes me sigh in relief. The air is hot, my goosebumped skin finally going back to normal as Mackenzie tells me to find a booth whilst she orders, despite the agreement being that I pay. There's a booth at the back near one of the heaters and I can see it's empty so I walk towards that.

The booths at Benny's are very retro diner. The seats are made from brightly colour leather and the backs of the seats are high, reaching the tips of my ears. The tables are metal with a plastic covering, pictures of Elvis, Dolly Parton and many other older artists collaged underneath.

It's unique and I love it.

I slide into the booth and rest my head against the seat, the quiet clinking of utensils against plates sounding much louder in my hungover state. Now that I've stopped crying, my nose is clogged and my head feels thick with the pain of a hangover. It's like someone has taken a drill to my forehead and hasn't turned it off.

I don't feel sick anymore, thank God because I'm starving, my stomach craving whatever Mackenzie brings over to line my stomach. I probably should've told her I fancied a milkshake, maybe a hash brown. My stomach growls at the thought of a hash brown, my lips smacking together when I think of milkshake. I could murder a raspberry milkshake right now.

I'm so lost in thought that I don't notice Mackenzie sliding a milkshake across the table and dropping pancakes in the centre of the table with two forks. It's only when she clicks her fingers in my face do I snap out of my daydream and focus on her again, a small grin on her face. "Almost lost you for a second there, Alex."