[3]

It was weird how quickly I seemed to click with Mackenzie, almost like we'd been friends in a past life. We bantered easily on the way to home room, teasing and laughing like I would with April and Faye. You wouldn't have guessed I had been stood in the office an awkward mess less than ten minutes ago.

I brought her into homeroom and immediately all of the attention was on her, not that I minded. I didn't like the leery way that most guys were staring at her though, no girl should have to be perved on like that.

Our teacher, Mrs. Chamberlain, immediately got her to tell everyone her name and a little bit about herself. It was pretty funny to watch, the way her neck blushed and that she was fiddling with her hands to cover up her nerves. I was surprised with how confidently she spoke considering the way her appearance betrayed her, and I raised my eyebrows April's way when she told everyone that she played soccer. April knew exactly what I was thinking, that maybe she was the striker we're looking for to replace Fruitless Freya. I scowl at the thought of her being our first option on the team. I can't stand the girl and she's not the player we need.

Speaking of the she devil, Mrs. Chamberlain sat Mackenzie in the spare seat next to her and her group of friends, Raven included. I narrow my eyes at the way Freya flips her pin straight brown hair over her shoulder before waving her hello, her eyes trained solely on the blonde bombshell. I can only imagine the crap she's telling her about me, no doubt spinning me into this awful psycho bitch. I'm hoping Raven at the very least will say she's being dramatic and that most people like me.

I tear my eyes away from her when her grey gaze catches me looking at her, my cheeks feeling hot at the realisation I got caught staring like a creep. April is chatting away to Faye, who's quietly teasing her about how excited she is over the fact she has AP History with Derek. I shove my timetable onto the desk. "So, fess up your timetables girls!"

We quickly compare our sheets before first lesson, overall happy with my lessons. I have pretty much every lesson with either April or Faye, and we all have the same lunch hour and AP biology class. Clay and Derek text into the group chat their time tables and I don't have any lessons except physics with Clay, and Derek is in AP biology with us, so I can guess that Faye is going to be my lab partner till at least Christmas. The only classes I spend by myself are English and Gym.

I hear Freya's hyena laugh along with the rest of the class, and I tear my attention from April and Faye bickering like children to see what is going on. Mackenzie has a large grin on her face, Raven is pointing and laughing whilst Freya has her hand resting on Mackenzie's arm. I frown slightly when I see how quickly Freya has managed to pull her into her group, but cover it up and smile when Mackenzie looks my way. She winks at me before returning her attention to the group of girls she's sat with, my smile dropping off my face with a huff when she's stopped looking my way.

I can tell that Freya has taken a liking to her. She's one of three girls that are currently out and comfortable with their sexuality at our school, and I know based on her ex girlfriend that Mackenzie is without a doubt her type. The way her eyes linger that extra second on Mackenzie before moving on are clear cut signs.

At least the girl has taste. I scoff to myself.

The bell rings signalling first period is about to start. I let my eyes quickly scan where my first class is before walking over to Mackenzie. She's passing her phone around the group, no doubt collecting numbers. I lean on the desk beside Raven who is watching Freya shamelessly flirting as she types her number into her phone. "You ready to go?"

Mackenzie's grey eyes meet my hazel ones and I see her visibly relax, grabbing her bag and slipping her phone into her pocket. She nods and hands me her timetable which I scan over quickly, my mouth almost quirking upwards at the fact we have first period English together. Looks like I won't be alone after all. "We're in English together so I might not need to use my tardy slip yet."