[2]

Surprisingly enough, my brain woke me up before my alarm. I'd been having a freakishly vivid dream about grey eyes before I jolted awake, my own pair of hazel eyes bugging out when I realised where I'd seen them before.

Let's just say they definitely didn't belong to Clay.

I'd woken up half an hour before my alarm, so I figured I'd just get a head start on the day, put a little bit of extra effort into my appearance for the first day back. I'd already washed my hair yesterday when I got back from Benny's so I sat in front of the mirror and got to work on fixing the mess that is my face.

My alarm is now going off on my bedside table and I'm nearly done with my makeup, a small grin pulling at the corners of my lips when I realise I actually have time for breakfast now before I go to pick April up from her house. I swear, if I wasn't an athlete I'd be huge. I eat my bodyweight in food every day and I'm never full. I'm the type of person who will eat because there's food within arms reach and not because I'm actually hungry. I grab my school bag and bound down the stairs two at a time, walking into the kitchen to find my older brother Will already sat at the table, his sleepy eyes glued to the bowl of cereal in front of him.

My brother is lucky. He doesn't go back to university for another two weeks so he gets to chill in the house by himself for another two weeks whilst I have to try and not stab myself with a pencil.

"Morning." I say to him, running my hand over his recently shaved brown hair, pulling it away before he can slap my hand with one of his own. "Why are you up so early?"

"I have to drive back up to UPenn for football trials." He responds gruffly before shoving a spoonful of lucky charms into his mouth. He chews a few times before swallowing, looking up and letting his green eyes stare at me. He smirks, like he's just laughed at a thought in his head. "I can't let all the weight training and growing I've done over summer go to waste."

I snort as I grab a bowl from the cupboard and pour myself some cereal, dropping into the seat at the island counter beside him. It's common knowledge that my brother didn't make first string last year at UPenn despite his talent as a player. He was told to bulk up and come to trials before fall season starts to see if he could push his way into the team after the seniors opened up spaces in the squad. The same happened with my soccer team. Three seniors graduated, all of which played up front and scored over three quarters of our goals. That's how Freya got into the team, by default, and I'll never let her forget it.

"Don't deny the fact your new physique hasn't helped you out with the girls." I wrinkle my nose at the memories of Will sneaking scantily clad girls out of his bedroom early in the morning just as I was leaving the house for morning practice. I have to hand it to my brother, he has good taste, most of the girls drop dead gorgeous. God knows what they see in my bald headed, gap toothed, broken nosed brother.

We eat in a comfortable silence, my eyes flicking down to my watch to see that I have to set off for April soon. I drink the rest of my milk before discarding my bowl in the sink and heading towards the front door, waving to my brother. "Good luck!"

"Thanks." I hear him grumble as I shut the door behind me, twirling my car keys around my finger before unlocking my car and slipping inside. April lives about a five minute drive away so I don't bother with music until she's in the car. She hates my music anyway so it's easier if she picks what plays during the short drive to school. Thinking about the amount of times I've had songs queued up only for her to skip through every single one of them and play her own music.

I pull up outside her house and send her a quick text, my finger barely pressing send before she's running out of her house and towards my passenger seat. My eyes travel approvingly over her outfit, a white t-shirt tucked into pale pink trousers matched with her white converse, her hair flowing over her shoulders in fiery ringlets. Her eyebrows raise when she takes in my appearance, my ears turning pink with embarrassment under her scrutinous gaze. "Why have you dressed up so nicely?"