[20]

"So was Benny's too basic for you?" Mackenzie teases as we both exit my car. I grin at the way she slips her hand into mine so casually once I make my way round to her side of the car and lead her towards where I suggested we go for food.

I picked a small Japanese restaurant downtown that I used to come to with Clay last year, when we found it accidentally one day when we decided to wander around because we were fed up of sitting inside all day after a party. It's a small little hole in the wall place that I adore when I'm not craving a greasy burger, partly because it's not very well known so it's not full of annoying freshmen or overrun with families like Benny's tends to be after school. Clay and I came here at least twice a week for the whole of junior year, and we'd spend hours in here at a time eating, talking about school, doing homework, or just people watching. We ended up on a first name basis with a majority of the staff, and they ended up sneaking us a lot of food because they were so fond of us.

None of my friends except Clay know about it and Mackenzie will be the only person other than him that I've come here with.

The thought of it makes me nervous because this restaurant holds so many good memories for me, and I really hope I can continue making more, specifically with her.

I push open the door and hear the bell chime, the smell of food wafting up my nostrils and making my legs move on their own accord, my grip on Mackenzie's hand loosening when a waitress I recognise makes her way towards me, a large grin on her face.

"Alex!" She gushes, speeding towards me and wrapping her arms around me in a warm hug. She pulls away and cups my cheeks in her hands, a stern maternal look on her face. "Where in God's name have you been hiding yourself? We've had to half our stock order of teriyaki since you and Clay decided to stop coming here and not tell us."

Gina Ancelotti is a brilliant woman who I adore with every fibre of my being. She's in her early forties but hasn't aged since she was twenty five, with stereotypical Italian American running through her blood. She's tall and lean, with long dark hair that she always ties back into a low bun, warm brown eyes and dark skin covered in freckles. Despite living in America for over fifteen years, her Italian accent is unmistakable and prominent in every word she says.

Oh, and she uses hand gestures like the best of them.

"Sorry Gina." I say sheepishly, scratching the back of my head and pointing at my company. "Clay and I hit a rough patch but I've found someone else to bring with me now."

Gina tears her eyes away from me to look at Mackenzie, her maternal instincts kicking in as she analyses the beautiful blonde stood stock still beside me. With Gina's kids being all grown up and no longer in the state, she projects a lot of her maternal affection onto me like Molly Weasley does with Harry Potter. I can tell just by the purse of her lips that she's determining whether or not Mackenzie is good enough to stand in my presence.

"Are you going to introduce your pretty friend, or are you going to make me stand like this and pretend I'm your mother for a lot longer?" Gina sighs and relaxes her shoulders, her natural broad smile tugging at her face as she waits for me to make introductions.

Oh, and Gina was the first person I told that I liked girls, after she kind of caught me swiping them on tinder. Gina is also the reason I no longer have tinder and will never use it again due to the sheer embarrassment she caused when she caught me.

"Right." I say a little too quickly as my face flushes beet red, pointing a finger at Mackenzie, who's stood with an awkward smile on her face. "Gina, this is Mackenzie. Mackenzie, this is my third mother Gina Ancelotti."

Gina offers her hand to Mackenzie after a quick roll of her eyes, Mackenzie returning the gesture with a strong handshake of her own. "Sorry if I made you uncomfortable, I can't help but get a little bit protective of this one."