Family Business

Dean called, and then met up with Sam, and just like that, they were a dynamic duo again. Calling me along the way to offer me a part in a case they found. I was so excited and so ready to shake off the cobwebs.

My first real hunt since...I didn't even remember when. Probably a year or so before I died. The drugs had consumed my life. It was a miracle I was keeping the bills paid; there was no room for hunting anymore.

I had a modest sized backpack opened up on the table, stuffing clothes and basic weapons inside. Bobby rolled in with an armful of other essentials and began handing them to me, one at a time to pack.

"Holy water."

"Check."

"Salt rounds."

"Check."

"Silver knife. And flashlight"

"Check and check!"

"Alright," he said, " the boys will have anything else you might need. You sure you're up for this?"

My lips quirked into a crooked smile as I turned to him. "I was pretty damn good, once."

"Once," he repeated, "just cause I've been helping you shoot out back doesn't mean you're ready to get back in the game. "

I shrugged. "Gotta buff out the rust somehow, right? "

He rolled his eyes at me. "I guess...but you're still an idjit for going."

I chuckled at him. I'd really grown to love this man already. It was like living with a father. Not that I knew what that was like. But it felt good, having someone around to act like one.
Our little moment was interrupted by the flutter of wings. I knew the sound all too well, and glanced side to side to find him.

"Going somewhere?"

I turned on my heels to find Castiel behind me on the other side of the table, leaning on his hands over it and eyeing me with that blank, yet purposeful stare of his.

"Sam and Dean are on their way to pick me up for a hunt," I said shyly. I mentally kicked myself for sounding like a teenager caught in the act of sneaking out. I didn't answer to him, why was I worried about what he thinks?

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" he asked calmly. I was momentarily frozen by his eyes. Damn those eyes. They just stop you in your tracks. I was still freaked out by what the Cas in five years told me, and I couldn't make sense of it in my head. It was hard to imagine having a romantic relationship with this...terrifying thing.

"I'll be fine. I will be with the boys, after all. And I do know how to hunt," I replied with a little more attitude than I meant to. Must be a Winchester thing. But mother wasn't exactly soft spoken either.

He relaxed and straightened himself up. I felt a burning in my head behind my eyes suddenly, and for a split second, I saw his wings. Not the flashy, wispy things of blackened light I normally see in angels... But his actual, dark feathered wings.
I must have made a noise or something, because Bobby rolled closer to me. I was pinching and massaging the upper bridge of my nose.
"You alright, kid?" he asked.

Castiel cocked his head and narrowed his eyes at me. "What did you see?"

I shook my head gently. "Nothing, just caught a glimpse of your wings."

Before I realized it, he had gotten very close to me, apparently forsaking the lesson he learned on personal space.
"Your powers are growing," he said, barely a foot away from my face.

"Did you know your eyes glow when you do that?" Bobby asked, "like damn orange Christmas lights."

"Wouldn't that make them Halloween lights?" I joked lightheartedly. The pain was gone. I turned my attention back to the angel, who was still staring at me like some fascinating science experiment. "I dont know understand, why is this happening now?"