See the Light

《Castiel 》

I had never been so disappointed in myself in all my long life, than the moment Hazel disappeared from view as my brother took her away to Father knows where.

The first human I had made a private oath to myself to protect, slipped through my fingers into those of the devil. I should have wiped her memories, I should have turned her away the moment she arrived.
Sam and Dean surely would have agreed with the decision.
And yet I wanted her to stay, to be near her, so I could keep her safe in person. Keep safe the little girl I'd watched grow up and struggle with life. Let die at the hands of my brethren.
After I'd taken the Winchesters back to Bobby's, they questioned me, and I had no easy answer. Only that their sister was gone, after failing to kill Lucifer and losing their friends, they now had to figure out a way to find her.

Dean, who was probably the most family oriented one of all, was particularly upset, though he didn't say much.
I stood in admittedly self pity in the corner, as the four of us tried to come up with a solution.

"Ok, let's think about what we know," Sam said, his voice cracking, "we know Lucifer isn't going to kill her. So she's going to be held up somewhere, probably guarded by demons."

"Yeah, and tortured by them, Sam." Dean snapped, "tell us something we don't know. "

Sam ignored his brothers pain driven ire, and pondered silently.

"We know that Lucifer likely isn't going to be there personally," I informed them.

"What do you mean, how do we know that?" Bobby asked.

"Because the angels know about her by now, meaning she'll need to be warded from them too," I replied, "or at the very least, he'll think he can't be bothered with it. Let demons interrogate her for him."

"Ok," Sam said lightly, "so all we have to do, is get a demon to talk."

"What about Crowley? He's gotta have spies," Dean suggested, "hate to say it but for the time being he's on our side."

"Dean, he nearly got us killed telling us to use the Colt on Lucifer," Sam protested.

"I agree with Sam," I said, "Crowley doesn't need to know about any of this."

"Cas, by now he probably knows about Hazel already. Cat's outta the bag!" Dean snapped at me.

I tensed inside my vessel. He had a point. It was unlikely that there was a single demon working for Lucifer OR Crowley that wasn't aware of a living Seer walking the earth.

"Wait, " Sam said suddenly in eureka, "what about Chuck?"

"Man, screw that douchebag," Dean growled, "we don't need him."

"No...Sam's right," I interjected with hope, "the prophet might know where she is."

"Alright, fine," Dean caved, digging his car keys out of his pants, "let's go."

I stopped him, "Wait. We don't have time for a drive, Dean. She's already been gone nearly a week. Either you come with me now, or you don't come at all."

☆☆☆☆☆

I took the Winchesters as my passengers to front porch of the prophet, Chuck. I didn't care if Dean wouldn't be able to defecate for a week, we needed answers fast.

Sam violently knocked on the door. "Chuck! " he hollered, "Chuck we need to talk!"

There was no answer, but I could sense the prophet inside.
"Move," I ordered Sam.
I ripped the door off its hinges, sending it flying across the lawn.