The Ending We Made

Looking back now, I see what an incredible feat we overcame. I see the love and friendship that held true, and saw us to the end.

But if you asked me then, I would tell you that despite saving the world from certain destruction at the hands of the devil, our lives were still ruined. It was but one small step, in a never ending journey through darkness.

As it turns out, the ending we made, was only the beginning...

☆☆☆☆☆

Detroit, late night. We drove, together, to the dwelling of the devil, making a stop only to slaughter and bleed several demons. Their blood filled several oversized jugs in the trunk. A dark silence fell over us the whole way, as if in vigil for what was to come. I knew what was to come, and it killed me that I couldn't breathe a word of it to anyone.
I knew what would happen when Sam faced Lucifer. But also I knew what would happen if we did nothing, so this was the plan.

I found myself frequently squeezing Castiel's hand in the car, and sometimes Bobby's too.

When we finally arrived at our destination and dreadfully climbed out onto the street, you could cut the tension with a knife. I felt everyone's fear, and it intensified my own. But out of everyone, Dean was the most afraid. Letting his brother do this was the hardest thing he'd ever done in his life.

Bobby checked the building across the street through binoculars.
"Demons. At least two dozen. You were right, something is up."

"I know he's here," I said, "I saw it."
A chill ran down my spine at the thought of being in close proximity to Lucifer again. I never told them that his demons weren't the only ones to torture me back in France. Lucifer came himself, once. He didn't inflict pain to my body the way others did. Instead he filled my head with fear and nightmares. Tormented my psyche with his games until he finally realized that Horseman were immune to Seers and gave up.

Standing so close, I could feel him again. His cold, hateful darkness. All his soulless rage and cruelty. It penetrated me and found myself frozen, backed against Baby for comfort. Staring at the building with trauma filled focus.
"Hazel? " Cas said softly near my head. I hadn't even noticed him get close to me, and he startled me.
I jerked my head from the building to face him.
"Are you alright?" he asked. He looked more concerned than usual, almost out doing Sam's puppy dog eyes.

I shook my head to compose myself.
"Yeah...just...I can feel him in there. Its..not pleasant, " I said honestly.

He looked as if he wanted to say, or do something...but as usual, it wasn't the time. I felt his urge to reach out to me somehow, and it was enough.

Dean moved to open the trunk, while Sam came over to three of us waiting.

He hugged Bobby, and they said their goodbyes. "I'll see ya around kid. "

"See ya around.."

"Listen...He gets in,you fight tooth and nail, you understand? Dont give an inch."

"Yes sir."

And then he turned to me. He took my both my hands and bent down a ways to my short stature.
"Hazel...I want you know you, I'm so...so glad you came into our lives. And just like I told Dean, you deserve a normal life after this. I hope you can find it."

I threw his hands off mine and sprung off my toes to link them around his neck and hold tight. He wrapped around me tightly in return, even lifting me off my feet briefly.

"Its gonna be ok," I whispered to his ear. And I meant it.

He let me go, both of us biting our emotions back, then turned to Cas with hand out for a shake.
"Take care of these guys, ok?"