ocean eyes📚

(Jaren's POV)

I look out the window from where I was sat in the classroom near the back and gaze out into the schoolyard, glancing at the trees that danced in the autumn wind and the leaves that floated their way down to the ground. I look up to see the blue sky filled with cirrus clouds that didn't quite cover the suns rays. My eyes drift over to the big oak tree that stood tall in the middle of everything. Sitting under the tree is someone, a boy, who looks to be around my age, that has dyed blond hair that reaches his shoulders. He's wearing a yellow, red, and blue hoodie with jeans and a stylish pair of black boots. He seems to be looking at something on his phone, not smiling from what I can see, but I can barely make out any of his features, apart from his painted nails.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by the bell, startling me slightly as I quickly look back to the front of the room where my teacher stands and then around to all my classmates who are putting their things away for their next class. Then I look back out to the schoolyard only to see the back of the man walking into the school. I frown and pack up my things, making my way out of the classroom and into the crowded halls.

The next time I see the guy is in my last period, which apparently he's in. Thinking back on it, I remember seeing him, but this morning he really just caught my eye. My eyes follow him as he makes his way toward the back of the room, where I was sitting, and sits at the desk in front of me. He turns to face me.

"Hey, do you happen to have a pencil or a pen I could borrow?" He says in a low and calm voice. I almost forget to answer, I'm too distracted by his eyes. I can't decide if they're blue or gray or maybe even a little green, they just seem so deep and mysterious. I eventually get my words out.

"Oh uh yeah, one sec," I say digging through my bag for a pencil. Once I pull one out I hand it to him. "You can keep it,"

"Thanks, man," He smiles at me and I notice the mole on the top of his upper lip.

"Oh no problem," I reply and he turns to face the front just as the bell rings and the teacher starts the attendance. He goes through some names before I hear the same calm voice speak up.

"John?" The teacher asks.

"Here" The man, John, replies. So his name is John huh? Good to know.

Later that night while I'm trying to do homework I keep thinking back to John and his eyes. I feel like they hold more in them than he lets a show like he has a story to tell and he's waiting for the right person to tell it to. I want to be that person. For some reason, I feel drawn to him, like a moth to a flame. It makes it really hard to concentrate on my homework when all I can think about is John and his eyes.

Two days later is when we talk again. It's lunch for me now and none of my friends are in my lunch period so I'm sitting alone at a table near the wall of the cafeteria. Someone sits down. It doesn't bother me though. A lot of people that don't have anywhere to go come here, be it because they want to sit somewhere else or their friends aren't at school/lunch that day. So this doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is when a calm voice speaks up.

"Hey," The person says, I look up, only to be met with dazzling blue-grey eyes. All rational thoughts leave my head and I'm stunned to silence. It's John. "Can I sit here?" He says with a small and shy smile. I try to formulate a sentence but my brain seems to have stopped working.

"Uhhhhhhh, yeah. Yeah, go for it." I manage to get out after a beat of silence and ya just looking at each other, him more expectantly and be more surprised.

"Can I ask why you always sit alone?" He says, smoothly sitting down with a lunch tray in his hands, placing his backpack on the ground next to him.

"Well, uh- none of my friends are in this lunch period and so I just sit here with my thoughts and my phone," I say, speeding through my words a bit and looking down to my suddenly very interesting cafeteria food.