It's Breathtaking📚

request from 0Absentminded0

(Smitty's POV)

Everything I've ever been told has been that it's all about meeting your soulmate. Don't get me wrong, the prospect sounds amazing but I've come to accept that there a possibility that I don't have a soulmate. I know I'm only 22 and that it's around the time I should be starting to feel the "breathlessness" of meeting my soulmate.

You see, everyone has been taught in school and by their parents that everyone has a soulmate and that how you know who they are is that when you get closer and closer to meeting them, you start to feel breathless. Scientists don't know why it happens, and they've been trying to figure it out for years, but the best explanation we have is that it's the universe telling us that this person is someone important.

Everyone knows this as fact, but I've decided that I don't give a shit about my soulmate. I don't care that I'm supposed to be with this person for the rest of my life or something.

The reason I feel this way is because of my past relationship. Yes, you can date while not knowing your soulmate, it's not endorsed, but people still do it due to abusive soulmates and other things like that. But it's not like I was aware that the guy wasn't my soulmate.

When we met it was after school and I was being cornered in an alleyway. The people in front of me, though only two people, were big and menacing. One of them held my arms down while the other would punch and kick me. I couldn't help but scream at the pain.

Then someone came to my rescue. He pulled the boy that was on me off and beat them both up before helping me to my feet. He was a sophomore at the time and me a freshman. He claimed that that day, before he met me he couldn't breathe and that I must have just not been paying attention and thought it was the person who kicked me in the stomach or anxiety. I thought that it had to be the truth and didn't question it.

Two years go by and we're still together, it was the best two years of my life. It was the summer right before he started college when "it" happened.

I had decided to visit him unannounced at his dorm, so I called his roommate to get a spare key and to make sure I knew when he'd be in the room. I was so excited. We hadn't seen each other in about a month and it was torture on my heart.

So you can understand my distress when I open the door to the apartment to hear the noises of him and someone else having sex.

I could hear them talking and it went along the lines of:

"I know you don't love him anymore, Jace, when will you dump him for me?"

"He still thinks I'm his soulmate, I haven't found the right time to tell him yet." That's Jace. That's my Jace.

I burst into the room to see my boyfriend and some other guy on the bed, both of them naked and under the covers. Tears fill my eyes as I run up to them and slap Jace before running out of the complex.

He followed me and tried to apologize, or even explain what happened, but all I could hear was his lies. He tried using my name, my real name, against me, knowing that I hated it. He was the last person that knew my real name in my chosen family. Though he wouldn't be apart of that anymore.

My senior year was hard.

After that whole experience, the idea of soulmates made me uneasy even 5 years later.

But there were a few good things that happened that year, I made a youtube channel and started to meet people and friends that I'm still friends with to this day. I started to do more of what I love and meet new people in my "field" who also loved to make videos.