prologue

1944Graz, AustriaHYDRA Bunker, 7th Level

1944
Graz, Austria
HYDRA Bunker, 7th Level

The screams echoed off the bare walls. There was no one around to hear the young woman fighting for her life. There was no one around to see the pain that she had been enduring for months.

She sat chained to a wall; the handcuffs were buried so tightly into her wrists for such a long time that wounded skin had begun to grow around it. Her legs, useless in all function, hadn't held the weight of her body in weeks - not that she could stand from where she was held to. Her body had grown weak and frail. Her captives only fed her enough to keep her alive, not to keep her nourished.

It had been that way since she was taken from her family in Hungary. They had believed with the allied forces making way that they would be safe. But the Jewish were never safe from Hitler and the Nazi party; that the Varga family hadn't known, and didn't want to believe.

The young woman had been taken hostage, and while the rest of her family had been sent to Auschwitz, she was separated and brought to Graz. She had endured enough pain and suffrage for a life time in the HYDRA bunker.

The men came to her seldom, but when they did, it was never with good tidings. Her body would be violated, her wounds reopened, and her brain severely damaged.

It wasn't until that the Nazi party began to fear the worst; they would lose the war. That was when the young woman's torture really began.

"Állj meg, könyörögök tőled. (Stop, I beg of you)" The young woman cried. Her hands were spread above her head, cuffed to the sides of the table she was lying on. Her feet were strapped; she couldn't move a muscle.

"Pofa be. (Shut up)" A hand struck against her cheek.

The man and his companion spoke very softly as they discussed the plans they had for the young woman. After the successful reprogramming of the Winter Soldier, the HYDRA party in Graz was more than hopeful in their actions here.

The young woman, who was floating in and out of unconsciousness, was then brought into the laboratory and went under various mind torturing surgeries.

Her brain, nearly fried and left for death, was brought back again and again. The HYDRA Nazi's repeated their cruel actions against the woman, again and again, until nothing was left but a brain dead young woman; who had only wanted to escape with her life.

They had set the drawing board to create a monster; a monster meant to see the downfall of Captain America.

***

2016
Wakanda, Africa
Shuri's Laboratory 

"I'm not saying goodbye." She told him, holding back tears. "It's only goodnight."

"Only goodnight. It will only be for a little while." He told her. "And then I'll be right back here, as Bucky, and we can cause all kinds of trouble."

Ray smiled. "You are Bucky, fully."

Bucky smiled. "I love you."

"I'm going to miss you. But it's going to be okay. Shuri promised me that I can help make your new arm. So expect it to have my name all over it." She stepped closer to him and he wrapped his arm around her waist.

"I would expect nothing less. Please, please, don't start any problems while I'm under. No civil wars."

"No, not again." She laughed sadly. "I won't. I'll behave. I won't hurt the King either."

"And remember, for the love of God," Bucky started and Ray immediately smiled.

"Don't listen to country music." They said together.

They laughed together for a minute before the feeling of goodbye settled over them. Bucky stood up from his seat and leaned down to kiss the woman he do desperately loved.

"It's killing me, it's not easy for me to do this." He told only her.

Ray only smiled, hiding her pain. "It's only for a little while. And this will be good for you. You deserve to rest." She told him and wiped a stray tear from his eye.

"Goodnight, doll." He kissed her one more time.

"Goodnight, I love you. Get some rest and come back charged. We won't be leaving the bedroom for days." She winked at him.

Bucky kissed her one more time. "I love you too."

Then Ray squeezed his hand and stepped back, watching him as he was placed into the cryo bunk. Steve and Natasha stepped forward.

"Don't get into to much trouble. All of you." Bucky told them.

Then the machine closed and ice slowly stared to form until it was complete. He was back under.

Ray finally let her tears fall as sobs erupted from her. Steve wrapped his arm around the smaller girl and held her close to his chest. He too, felt empty and alone all of a sudden.

But it was for the best.

Bucky truly did deserve to rest.

"Come on," Natasha said.  "Why don't we get something to eat?"

The two nodded and Natasha and Steve walked off. Ray looked at her frozen love and felt even more empty. How would she be without him? It would only be a few days. Of course, that is only what she told herself.

She took a step forward and pressed her lips against the cold glass. With an unsteady breathe, she took a step away. "Goodnight, Bucky."