four

chapter fourseriously wrong

chapter four
seriously wrong

When Ray fully came to, her first realization was that she was not in her bedroom. Then she realized how easy it was to breathe. Then, and finally, she realized that a thick black circle disk was sitting on her throat.

A groan fell from her as she stood up, the room slightly spinning as a result of that action. The memories of the past day filled her mind; and the dark eyes of the woman in her dream reappeared.

Ray had never seen that woman before; at least she did not believe that she had. Though her memories of before she turned seventeen were still jumbled, she couldn't remember if she'd have met that woman before.

When Ray swung her feet over the side of the metal bench she was resting on, she came to the realization that she was on a ship. She felt the smooth movement of it; and she knew exactly what kind of ship she was on.

She did not need to look at the Wakandan warriors to know where she was heading.

"Steve." Her voice was hoarse, but strong enough to gain the attention of her friends and the few warriors.

"Hey," Natasha rushed to her side and knelt down. "How are you feeling? Don't be mad."

"Steve!" Ray ignored her friend and looked at the man that was walking towards her. "What the hell, man?"

"Ray, you were sick. You had two seizures in a day. It's not like I can take you to a regular doctor." Steve knew he would have an argument with her. He had been hoping she wouldn't wake until after they arrived at Wakanda.

"I'm fine." Ray shook her head. She really did feel fine now. She didn't feel the need to cough or the burn in her lungs.

"Really? Because people having two seizures isn't exactly fine." Sam chimed in.

Ray shot him a look. "I can't go to Wakanda."

Natasha looked at her friend with a mixture of curiosity and sadness. "Why not, Ray?"

"Because Bucky can't know about this. He can't see me." Ray shook her head and stood up.

"Bucky already knows. We spoke while you were asleep."

Ray looked at him in disbelief; and then she laughed. She laughed in anger and in desperation. Then she looked away at the floor for a moment before turning to him. "Are you stupid? Is that it? Because I don't understand why you would do something like this."

Steve rolled his eyes at the impulsive woman. He liked the fact that she never backed down from a fight, but now was not the time for it. "Ray, you were having seizures. You wake up every night not being able to breathe and there's always fingerprints on your neck. You can't tell me that's normal."

"I don't care about what happens to me!" Ray yelled loudly. "If I go to Wakanda, then Bucky will chose not to continue trying to get the Winter Solider out of him. He will chose me over him and I can't have that. We agreed that he would take the time to rest without me as a distraction. If I go back there then all of that gets thrown out the window!"

The former Captain let out a sigh and rubbed his eyes. He understood where she was coming from, of course he did. He wanted Bucky to rest and take care of himself just as much as she did. But he cared about Ray too, and right now, her health was just as important - if not more.

"Hey," Natasha grabbed Ray's arm. "This is not going to change anything. He'll still get the help he needs. Shuri has been working none stop, this time she really believes she's got it. He'd never forgive himself if he wasn't there for you. Something could be seriously wrong, Ray."

Ray let out a frustrated sigh and moved to sit down. She looked around her area, looking for anything that could help her. Her gaze landed on a parachute that was on the other end of the ship. She looked at it for a second longer before jumping.

It was an impulsive decision, destined to fail. Steve caught her before she made it halfway across.

"Let me go!" Ray huffed. She was strong too, but Steve had a bit more of an advantage. A few extra years of being on the super solider serum. "You're such an asshole, God!"

Steve was more than used to her harsh words. "Come on Ray, we are already almost there. Jumping out of this ship will only land you somewhere in the desert."

The young woman pulled herself from his grip and went to sit back down next to Natasha. Her frown was ever present, much like always, and she was very angry at her friends around her.

"I just want you to know, that I really hate all of you." Ray told them.

"You say that now," Sam said from his seat. He had watched the whole ordeal. "But when we save you from dying, you'll be thanking us."

"I'd rather die than you be right." Ray mumbled to herself. Only Natasha heard it, and the spy hid her laugh.

Then the conversation ended and Ray was left to fester in her own anger. She knew it was stupid, of course she did. But she was stubborn, much more than she used to be, and not only did she want to admit that there was something wrong with her, but that she wasn't ready to see Bucky yet.

Yes, she loved him. And yes, she was there when he woke from cyro a month after he first went under, but that was the last time she saw him. It had been just under a year and she was nervous about it. And she wanted him to take care of himself; and she knew that he wouldn't if she were to return.

That was why she stayed away for so long.

But as they approached Wakanda, that was all out the window. She knew she'd be seeing him again very soon and was more than nervous. A part of her wished that he was still under; then she could be treated and be on her way. But no, fate never worked out the way she wanted it to.