thirty eight

chapter thirty eight retirement

retirement

one year later

A lazy smile spread across Ray's tired face. It was early morning, the sun had only just risen. It's rays were just barely poking through the window when the young woman woke up.

The sleeping beauty next to her was sound asleep. His soft snores and subtle sighs filled with sleep filled the quiet room, but Ray couldn't sleep. Instead she laid in her stomach and stared at the man who slept peacefully next to her.

His hair had grown long again - only not as long as it once had been. It was the same length it was when she first met him, just barely brushing against his shoulders. It was still as soft as ever and Ray couldn't help herself from running her hand through it and curling the tips around her fingers.

Scruff covered his face, because he didn't like growing it out too long. Ray absolutely loved how breath taking he looked right now, and how finally, he was at peace.

His bare broad shoulders only took up half the size of the enormous bed. His skin was soft and full of pale little freckles and marks after living over hundred years.

Ray was completely smitten and still so very much in love with the man that stumbled his face into the ranch almost five years ago.

She then ran her hand down his arm, soft skin covering the hard muscles. She admired his arms more than anything and found herself dreaming about them more often than not. His metal arm was hidden under the pillow, where his head was resting comfortably.

Though Ray was more than happy to be in this moment. The past year alone had been a long one. Between the long and lengthy process of getting pardoned by both the US and the UN, and being forced into an early retirement, and then of course, returning to a somewhat normal life, Ray loved moments like this more than anything.

If she could, she would stay in this bed for the rest of her life. Sheltered and hidden was exactly where she wanted to be.

Though on this particular day, she wanted his attention and not just to admire him.

"Bucky." Ray whispered quietly, poking the side of his cheek. When he didn't move, she did it again. "Bucky wake up, I want attention."

He stirred and his eyes opened for a second before fluttering shut again. "Go away."

"No. I need attention."

" 'm sleeping."

Ray let out a small sigh before she leaned over and pressed her lips against his. At first he didn't react, but when Ray ran her tongue along the bottom of his lip and then pulled it between her teeth, he almost immediately moved.