twenty two

chapter twenty twosleeping

chapter twenty two
sleeping

Ray slept for three days after Bucky brought her back to the house. She slept on one of the beds in the basement because Bucky knew she wouldn't want to be on her old one.

And he stayed beside her for the most part. Everyone was worried about her, even her old fake family. They all took turns sitting with Ray in case she woke up from the sudden 'coma' she had slipped in to.

It was also during those three days that Jonathon Smith, who had been on bed rest, passed away. The entire Smith family was shaken to the core after his passing, and while Jonathon had done something very wrong to Ray, Bucky still was saddened by his death. He was always very kind to him.

Sofie forgot he ever existed the next day.

Everyone knew Sofie would be following Jonathon any day now.

It was mid afternoon in the fourth day. Bucky sat beside Ray on the bed. His eyes were red and sore from the crying he had done the past hour as his thoughts haunted him. He needed her to wake up, he needed her to be okay.

All he wanted was for her to wake up, get the treatment she needed, and then they would run away together. They'd go so far north that no one could ever find them; an everlasting winter that Ray wanted so much.

Bucky vowed that he would get her there someday. He needed to do it for her.

Steve stood by the stairs. Everyone else was either upstairs eating or trying to find something to do. It had been a very boring week; worse than Sweden.

He saw the pain his old friend was in and wanted to help. Steve had tried to contact T'challa every day, every hour, but still the King did not answer. Steve feared the worst, naturally. He feared that whoever had attacked them had gone back to Wakanda to finish the job. He could only pray his Wakandan friends were still alive.

"How are you holding up?" Steve asked his friend.

Bucky swallowed the lump in his throat before looking at Steve. "I don't know." He said.

"Still no contact from T'challa. I'll try again in an hour. Anything happen with Ray?" He looked at his other friend; his younger sister. Steve missed the stubborn asshole of a woman he had cared for so much.

"No. Still sleeping." Bucky looked down at her once more. Then he moved to press a kiss on her forehead before standing up. He felt only slightly awkward showing affection in front of Steve; he didn't know if he'd ever return to his normal self.