eight

chapter eight pillow talk

chapter eight
pillow talk

The empty plates sat on the top of the dresser across the room. The bed, slightly filled with crumps but other wise clean, was a soft refuge for Ray to relax her sore and tired body. The spinal fluid testings had made her sore, and the soft bed helped her.

Not to mention the pillow that Bucky had stuck under her legs to keep her more elevated.

The most important topic of discussion was being avoided; neither of them wanted to argue and they both knew that the conversation would led to one. Ray was not one to back down, even if it was with Bucky.

The former solider was lying on the bed. He had undressed to sleep in only his briefs, and was watching Ray examine his new metal arm. It was sleeker than the last one, smoother too, and slightly more buff to match his other arm.

Ray admired it. It still matched her cybernetic leg. Black and silver.

Finally, after avoiding it all afternoon and evening, Ray was the first one to bring the topic up for discussion.

"So... about earlier." She saw Bucky sigh and lean his head back. "I don't think it's a good idea. Honestly, it's probably just a cold or something. I will be perfectly fine in the hands of Dr. Kanu."

"You would be an idiot if you think that I'm letting you go this alone."

"But I'm not alone. I have Steve, Nat, and Sam." At her words, Bucky rolled his eyes. Ray narrowed hers and him. "What?"

"Nothing."

"If you don't tell me right now I'll scream." Ray warned.

"That's exactly why, Ray, why I can't go back under. Shuri's method worked this time I know it did, I can feel it. I don't want to miss this."

Ray started to realize what he was referring to. "You won't miss it. I'd tell you all about it."

Bucky ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "Ray. I am not going back under and that's final. It's my decision. I do not want to miss anymore time, I don't want to waste it."

"Okay, okay." Ray sighed. She reached out and took his hand again, running her fingertips across his calloused ones. "I get it. I do. I just worry."

"I know you do and I love you for that." He watched as she brought his hand up to kiss. "You know that I love you, right?"

"Of course, what brought that on?" Ray asked with confusion. Bucky hadn't doubted her love for him in a very long time.

"Nothing. Nevermind."

"Bucky."

A sigh fell from his lips. "It's nothing, really. Sam was just being an asshole. He said that I only cared now that you were sick, and that I didn't care about you the past year and that's why I didn't go with you."