A Lucky Escape

Over the next weeks, I found myself slowly learning to trust my new companions. I was sure, also, that they were growing to like me too. They were not so guarded with their words, and I was glad to discover a little more about their true personalities as we travelled steadily towards safety. Even the pain in my leg seemed lessened some days, though it was healing only slowly. Perhaps the amusing distraction they provided helped me forget the wound. Despite Legolas' annoyance on the first night, I could tell that the pair were the closest of friends, with an implicit trust of each other's instincts and skills. Legolas and Aragorn worked like a seamless army all on their own.

Aragorn, in particular, had surprised me with his care over the past ten days. He seemed grim at times, but his heart was gentle and his honourable mind shone out of his scruffy exterior like a beacon. He was always careful not to startle me if he could help it and leant me his thick spare blanket for the cold nights. There was a quality to him I could not quite place, some quiet dignity that had perhaps slept long in his sires, but had awoken in his soul. He smiled only occasionally, but when he did the transformation to his weathered face was astounding. His eyes would lift, their steely grey melting slightly, and for a few moments something of his proud lineage would show. I could well imagine a crown sat on the brow of this careworn ranger.

Legolas, too, went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of. While Aragorn scouted, he often ended up setting a slower pace, making sure I could keep up with him. He was quiet, but still seemed to find conversation simple when he chose to speak, pointing out anything from the strange shapes of clouds to his plans of what we would eat that night. I wished, more than once, that I had the same ability.  Legolas did all he could to draw me out of my shell, often asking questions about the most mundane aspects of my life and seeming fascinated by my answers. In contrast to Aragorn, he smiled often, but sometimes, when he thought we were not watching, his fair face would sink into worry. I wondered what cares troubled this elf-lord. He was so far from his forest home, where his people surely felt the loss of their greatest king's heir most keenly. 

Aragorn insisted that we took regular rests. He also changed my bandage several times. I knew enough from my healer mother to recognise that there was a rather severe infection, and it was likely only due to the skills of the ranger that I had not lost my leg altogether.

At that moment, he had left us to investigate the road ahead. He'd seen signs the past few days of a travelling orc pack and, though orcs hated daylight, he insisted on checking our way carefully to ensure its relative safety.

As I was sitting and nibbling at our savoured supply of waybread and the previous night's squirrel for breakfast, Legolas stood up suddenly, gazing north and shading his eyes with his right hand from the eastern morning sun. "What can you see?" I called out, watching his tall figure against the rising light of early morning.

He turned with a smile on his face and beckoned me to his side. "An opportunity, if you would like to take it", he answered simply. He placed his bow into my hand, which curled around it almost naturally in the way my brother had taught me.

"You have a good grip, which is an essential part of accuracy" Legolas complimented with a slight nod. I blushed at the unexpected praise and thanked the elf quietly.

"Why do you give me your bow?" I asked. In answer, Legolas pointed at a rabbit half hidden in the grass.

"You're going to catch dinner!" He enthused, then laughed at the alarmed expression on my face. "There are plenty of rabbits around. It matters not if you miss. Now, show me how you'd aim"

"I haven't even finished my breakfast" I grumbled, though there was a grin on my face.

"Breakfast will not hop away if you keep stalling" Legolas quipped back, a twinkle in his eye.