Dawning Realisations

The next thing I knew, Legolas was shifting me gently into his arms and swinging a leg over the horse. I winced as my knee jolted and opened my eyes, watching him place me carefully on the grass. He smiled when he saw I was awake.

"It is early evening. We passed Bree a few hours ago and we should reach the hidden valley tomorrow before noon."

"How long was I asleep?" I sat up and took a drink from the water he handed me.

"About seven hours, perhaps." He chuckled. "I am hardly surprised. Three fights with no sleep is quite a challenge, especially for someone unused to this life."

He took our packs from the horse and sat beside me. Around us, the others were dropping to the ground. Some were tasked with lighting fires and refilling water, but many fell asleep where they sat. Galdor came over to take our flasks to the river, his eyes bruise-like with exhaustion.

"It is them I pity" I muttered, eyes on Mallor, his hairless chin drooping onto his chest. "How do mortal men manage such a day if even we are tired?"

Legolas shrugged slightly. "I suppose they do what they must. How is your knee?"

I avoided his eyes and spoke bluntly. "I can manage."

Legolas sighed good-naturedly. "I would never doubt that. I was only asking."

"I don't mean to be bad tempered. I'm sorry."

To my horror, a lump was rising in my throat. I thought back over the fights we'd won, my mind settling immovably on the Barrow-Wights. Though the voices had been raspy and distorted, hearing my family speak again had seemed a relief. That was the cruelty of those vile spirits, I supposed. They tricked people into yearning to be with them, though it was the voices of those they loved people truly longed for. I wanted my mother desperately. My mouth turned down.

"Ness", Legolas soothed. He shifted closer and, after a moment of hesitation, he wrapped his familiar arm gently around me. I lent my head slowly on his shoulder "Ma hen, mellon nin?" (S: what is this, my friend?")

"Goheno nin", I gasped, "Im penorven. boe annin postad" (S: forgive me, I am tired. I need to rest.)

"U mo edaved. Le a vellon" He stifled a sigh, shifting carefully closer. "You slept all day, so I know you do not speak the whole truth. Be honest with me. Is it the wights that upset you?" It seemed childish to tell him I wanted my mother and father, so I only nodded. (S: There is nothing to forgive. You are with a friend.)

"It's been a difficult day", I muttered. Legolas squeezed me closer.

"I knew you weren't alright" he sighed, "but we are of one mind. I do not think we will face them again, at least not soon. The rangers we fought with are tasked with patrolling the borders of the Shire and Bree. I expect they will be there for some years."

"Being silly", I sniffed, attempting to control myself and untie the knot of shame in my stomach.

"La vaethor veleg, Ness," Legolas assured me quietly, "but it is natural that such creatures would affect you so much, given what you've seen. There is no shame in grief." (S: you are a mighty warrior, Ness.)

"Ci vaer?" I asked tentatively. Legolas had been as badly affected, and yet he seemed his usual serene self. (S: Are you well?)

"I am just fine", he reassured me. "It is you who needs comfort today."

"Hannon le.", I smiled with effort, taking Legolas' other hand and squeezing it. He watched our clutching fingers for a second. (S: Thank you).

Shaking his head slightly, he offered a few more words of reassurance. "Avaro naeth. I 'ell nîn". (S: Don't worry. It was my pleasure.)