Worst Fears

I slept badly that night, and the next. There had been no sign of Legolas and Mallor, and the danger in my heart grew every time I thought of them. I kept half expecting him to pop up behind me, a teasing smile on his face and a strong arm to wrap around my shoulders. However, I woke on the third day and his mattress was cold, without its usual pile of blankets, or the elf curled into them. Anxiety filled my chest again. Surely this was not just concern for a friend. There was something malevolent to come - I was sure of it.

"Ness are you even listening?"

I jumped at the irritated voice of Elrohir and sat up, guiltily tearing my eyes away from the space where Legolas should be. He sighed slightly, his grey-eyed gaze also falling on the empty straw mattress. "Despite the danger that grows in these lands I do not think Legolas is in peril."

"I would not be so sure." I muttered. "Some shadow has been growing in my mind since he and Mallor left. They are in danger, even close to this fair valley."

"It is natural you are anxious." Elrohir reached out to squeeze my shoulder. "You are unused to him leaving without you, but he and Mallor will be back, perfectly safe."

"I have foresight, cousin." I argued as Aragorn and Elladan entered the room. "Something is wrong. We need to set a tighter guard around the perimeters today."

"Ness" Aragorn knelt down and took my hand gently in both of his. "Legolas is a mighty warrior. He's fine, I assure you."

Why were they all treating me like a small child? I ripped my hand away from Aragorn's.

"Double the watch. There is something coming, or I am not an elleth."

Aragorn sighed. I clenched my fists.

"Do not be impatient, Dúnadan. I am not some frightened child. Do you forget who I am? I have an ancient, shining steel in my blood and the foresight to know when something is amiss. I will not permit you to ignore my instincts. Are you an elf, Aragorn?"

Aragorn had no answer. He, the twins and I patrolled the east side, while Tar, Beriadan, Halbarad and Galdor took the west. We each set our own path, but I met with one of them around every hour or so. The day wore on and the danger in my heart grew. 

There was the sound of heavy footsteps behind me. I wanted to believe it was Mallor, but there were no light elvish steps in time with the stumping ones. They were uneven, as if the owner was limping, and far too noisy for the young ranger.

I walked a few more paces, pretending not to notice the stamping behind me. Its breathing was ragged. I heard a blade being drawn.

I whipped around and drew my blades in one fluid movement, holding them at my sides and stalking towards the orc. It raised its scimitar. I clashed my blade against it then drew back, spinning it in my hand with my teeth gritted. He growled and threw his strength behind the scimitar, crashing his one blade with both of mine. I drew them in a v in the air and pushed his blade, knocking it out of the orcs hand with such force that it sailed into the air and landed almost ten paces away. The orc started to screech, but I cut its throat with my right sword to silence it, watching it twitch on the ground. My twins swords glowed white in the victory, but as my enemy's life bled away, the light did not fade. There were more close-by.

There really were a pair of light footsteps behind me now. I turned, hope blossoming in my heart, but it was Elladan, his sword raised and glowing as bright as mine. There was black blood on the blade.

"He will not be the only one." I said shortly, gazing down at the corpse.

Elladan nodded. "I slew two just a moment ago. We should not have doubted you. How long have you thought there was danger approaching?"

"Since the day Legolas and Mallor left. I told Aragorn then, but he would not listen. I would never doubt his ability, Elladan. Yes, I worry for him, but that does not mean I have taken leave of my senses. He is in danger, and Mallor too. A sixteen-year-old is now in mortal danger because you and your brothers failed to listen to me!"

"I will find Aragorn now and tell him. We should gather together so we can set up a strong defence. Will you find Elrohir?"

I nodded and started to walk away. "Ness?" I turned and watched Elladan rub the back of his neck with his hand. "I really am sorry. We should have listened."

"I am less angry for myself and Legolas than for Firiel. Her son was put in completely unnecessary danger. What shall we tell her?"

I turned from him and stalked away, gripping my swords in my fists and clenching my jaw. If they had but taken me seriously, this threat could have been far less than it now was.

The Enemy was near. The peril crept into my heart like poison. I looked warily around me, turning on the spot to see everything I could, then I heard the sound I had dreaded.

"AI!" (S: Ah!)

Legolas.

His voice cracked. I heard the gasping quality of his shout and the clashing of blades which accompanied it, guessing that Mallor was with him. There was a twang following his exclamation of pain, and a thud. Then I heard the sounds of swords meeting, metal on metal. For a moment I stood still, struck by terror. The bowstring must have been Legolas' but if it wasn't... I heard him groan again and I could stand it no longer.

"Legolas!" I shouted to him. my voice trailed off slightly, fading in terror.

"Natho ven!" His words were laced with pain, but his voice was still strong. I took a deep breath, then started sprinting in his direction, my swords still in my hands and my feet pounding against the hard ground. I had to get to him. The possibility of being too late was utterly horrifying to comprehend. (S: Help us!)

There was another clash of swords, the second twang of a bowstring, then a third. I ran to the very top of the valley, cresting its steep sides easily. Finally, Legolas and Mallor came into sight. They were surrounded by an orc pack, with many corpses strewn around them but at least 30 still standing. Even with the imminent threat of danger, my terror was stilled when I saw Legolas shooting determinedly into their midst. I crossed the distance between us in seconds, twisting in between two orcs and cutting their throats simultaneously before they even knew I was there.

Finally I was in the midst of the battle. Mallor, thankfully, was unhurt. His sword flashed in the late afternoon sun as the orcs pressed in around us. I imbedded my blade in the gap underneath the arm of another orc, my wrath causing even those evil creatures to give pause. For a moment there was a reprieve, allowing me to stride through them, killing another three with little effort.

I took one more step towards Legolas, leaping in front of him as an orc raised a crossbow at his head. I shouldered it aside and the bolt went askew, hitting another orc in the chest. The closer orc was dead before it could snarl even the briefest of insults at my furious face.

"Are you alone?" Legolas asked incredulously, felling an orc assailing Mallor.

"The twins and Aragorn are close by." I answered, stabbing another with a twist of my blades.

Several things then happened at once.

By chance, my eyes landed on Legolas' injury. There was a crossbow bolt embedded in the flesh of his thigh. It had torn through the material of his trousers and I could see the angry red skin underneath. The wound was not too deep, but nonetheless he was bleeding heavily.

I stopped, disregarding everything else around us and gazing, wide-eyed at the rapidly spreading patch of red. I stepped in front of him and raised my swords, gritting my teeth, determined to protect my dearest friend. 

Before I could say a word, Mallor gave a shout of fear. With no regard for the blood loss he had suffered, Legolas bolted towards the boy. I turned to see what was happening but, when I was about to follow, there was a dull whack on the back of my head. The last thing I remembered was swaying dangerously, Legolas' desperate shout of my name, and cruel laughter. 

Everything went black. 

Aragorn and the twins have made a huge mistake, and they're not the ones who must pay for it. Will Legolas and Nesseldë get out of trouble this time?

See you next Monday to find out... 

A.M.