Strengthening Ties

I woke the next morning to full sunlight. We had celebrated into the early hours, and it felt as if my brain had been replaced by a damp dishcloth. The room was empty, but there was a full skin of water next to me, which I drained sheepishly, thinking of all the ale I had so unwisely drunk.

Legolas was sitting just outside the hut with Aragorn and the twins. He smiled lazily as I opened the door and shuffled up to give me room to sit beside him against the wall, holding out a hand so I could lean on him instead of my complaining knee.

"Look what the cat dragged in!" Elladan half shouted. Legolas, Aragorn and I all winced. "If only my father could see you now. It would be a welcome change to see him tell someone else off in the midst of their hangover."

"Why are you so cheerful?" I grumbled.

"He waters down his ale like a coward." Legolas grinned. "I was rather impressed by your tolerance for such a small person."

"Family trait." I groaned, wrinkling my nose at the usually welcome smell of meat wafting on the breeze. "What time is it?"

Aragorn shrugged grumpily. He looked even worse than he had in the midst of battle. Elladan started to hum a repetitive tune, an annoying grin on his smooth face, but he hit him hard on the shoulder. He only laughed and stood, walking into the forest.

Elrohir got up to follow, turning and giving the three of us a dramatic bow. "Don't worry Estel", he trilled in his highest voice, "we'll defend your people while you relax."

Mithrandir walked over before Aragorn could summon the energy to shoot the younger son of Elrond in the head. He lent on his staff to ease aching joints as he sat. "I wanted to speak to you, Nesseldë". His business-like manner was the same as always, though the previous night he had danced the most, laughed the loudest and stayed up the latest. "The orcs in the battle seemed somewhat focused on you."

I had put all thoughts of the battle out of my mind, but with Mithrandir's words my cares returned, exacerbated by my banging head. "I noticed", I muttered darkly.

"Ness". Aragorn sat up at last, taking a swig from his water. He looked at me sharply. "Artamir and his family had their throats cut by orcs, the same way you lost your own kin. Now they surround you." He sighed to himself. "This cannot be a coincidence, mellon nin." (S: my friend).

I lent my head back against the wooden walls of our hut, letting the breeze play with my hair. This was precisely why I had avoided probing the issue for the last few days. The killing of the ranger and his family, the men who had murdered mine, and the orcs who seemed so focused on snuffing out my life. It seemed certain there was some connection.

"I should not have come. I am bringing danger on the people I wish to defend."

A strong hand squeezed mine. Aragorn was sitting in front of me, looking earnestly into my eyes. "It didn't even cross my mind. I only wish to protect you."

"I know." I mustered a heavy smile and he returned it.

"Besides, I believe the orcs would have come whether or not you were with us. They've been building their numbers for years. My people are few, but we are not forgotten, at least not by one captain in league with the dark power of Mordor."

"The leader of the orcs, and perhaps the men too." Legolas mused. "If only we could get to him, all our problems would be halved."

We all looked up at the clearing of a throat. Firiel was stood above us, two cups of nettle tea in her hands. Legolas moved aside once more so she could sit, and she handed a mug to me. "Tar and Mallor talk, Ness."