Beyond Hope

"We cannot stop! I will not allow it!"

The voice was desperate, but the pain was the only thing I could focus on. Something was ripping me in two. I couldn't see, couldn't move an inch. 

"Legolas, if she wakes not in the next few days, there is no hope. It may be kinder to let her soul depart these lands and find peace with those who left her behind."

"You cannot do this to her." There was another voice. Elladan, I thought, for he spoke slightly softer than his brother. Elrohir spoke then, fiercer but with a wobble mid-sentence.

"She is our kin. The kin of your beloved wife, our mother. Ada, you will have to get past all of us before you do anything to harm her." (S: dad)

"This is the last thing anyone wants, my sons" the older voice said exhaustedly, "but we may be forced to make a terrible choice. As for harming her, we are reaching the point where intervening may cause more harm than leaving her be."

Someone took a shaking breath. "Legolas", I heard Elrohir mutter consolingly. There was a hand in my hair, and one on my right arm.

Sense was dripping back to me like a drizzling rain. I knew the desperation in Legolas' voice; I had heard it far too many times over the past months. The older voice, of course, was Lord Elrond. The twins surprised me more, for, though I loved them, I had never considered what it might mean to them if something were to happen to me. Legolas had been my main concern, but the tremor in their voices caused a lump to rise in my throat. 

The elf-lord sighed from my right, wearier than I had ever heard him. "After all you've lost, the last thing I want is for your love to be snatched from your arms too. However, we must prepare for the worst."

My heart was pounding. With hideous clarity I recalled what had led me to my sick bed. The blankets on top of me were soft and warm, the pillows made of down. The air was refreshingly cool and the scent of blossom was carried into the room by a light breeze.

Legolas' hand, achingly familiar, was in my left, gently stroking my palm. I squeezed it, clinging to him as if he alone had the power to anchor me to Middle Earth. I drew in a shuddering breath, which ended in a groan.

The others seemed to freeze for a moment. Someone pressed a hand to my forehead, but it was pushed aside by another, the fingertips of which were toughened by years upon the bowstring. His hand slid down to my cheek.

"Nesseldë?" His voice cracked at the end of my name. I squeezed his hand again, while something painful built up in my chest. How he must have suffered to see me so close to death. "Ness?" He whispered.

"Legolas it hurts."

Legolas pressed his lips to my forehead. "I know, darling girl, but open your eyes for us. We are safe at last."

I did as he pleaded as soon as I could, though the effort it took was exhausting. "Hello Sinda", I choked. He smiled widely, with tears in his eyes. My mouth was dry.

"Thank the Valar", he choked.

I reached up a shaking hand, and he lent down, wrapping his arms around my back, and pulling me upright, into his chest. I whimpered involuntarily as my wound spasmed. "Sorry. I forgot myself." He muttered, moving to rest me back on my pillows.

"No." I sniffed. "No." He pulled me closer again, and I rested on his shoulder. "I love you." I said softly. He buried his hand in my hair, stroking the back of my head with his thumb. I breathed in his woodsy smell, grateful to feel his body pressed against mine.

He gulped. "I love you so much, I would have followed you."

"Say not that." I swallowed. "You're needed."