The Consequence of Fear

His white face haunted my dreams. I saw his wounds in front of my eyes all night, and each time they seemed more grievous. I could smell rotting flesh.

I was pulled with difficulty out of my restless sleep one chilly morning, a month later, by a soft voice calling my name. Upon opening my sticky eyes, I saw Halbarad kneeling next to me. "Not the pretty face you were expecting?" He asked nonchalantly. I tried to grin, sitting and pulling my blanket around my shoulders.

"Legolas has gone then?"

"Aye, he's insisting on helping us, and we can't argue with that. He said to tell you to try and relax for the day. Aragorn is with him this time. I think he is anxious that everyone is safe now."

"No wonder", I said grimly, taking the plate of food and cup of tea offered with a nod of my head. My voice faded. "The twins are orc hunting, aren't they?"

Halbarad rolled his eyes. "They're always bloody hunting. You worry too much. All of them will be home safe."

I sighed. "I know, but I hate to be eating breakfast in bed while my friends are risking their lives."

"Legolas said you'd say that." Halbarad intoned cheerfully before I could go on. "Aragorn also told you to shut it and eat. His words not mine."

I rolled my eyes and Halbarad grinned. There was silence for a few moments, in which I could not seem to focus on the bearded face of Aragorn's kinsman. "Are you alright?" He said after a moment. I blinked, and his frowning face came back into focus.

"Fine."

Halbarad sighed. "The lad's death has affected us all, but none more than you, I know. Take some rest today, as much as can be found."

I smiled with effort, taking a deep breath. "Thank you, my friend. I'll be okay. He was so young, is all, even among your people. When nearly a thousand years weigh upon you, eighteen seems barely a heartbeat."

"Tis a blink from where I stand also. I cannot imagine what it must seem like to you and the other elves." Halbarad reached out to squeeze my shoulder. His face was grim, but his words were as soft as always. I nodded slightly.

"I suppose I will get used to it. I'm starving."

"Stop fretting and eat then". Halbarad rolled his eyes in gentle humour.

I raised an eyebrow. "Yes lieutenant."

Halbarad bowed sarcastically and left and I turned to my breakfast – fresh, warm flatbread straight from the fire and a dollop of last night's broth. Once it had been eaten, which took an indecently short time, I dressed and shook my hair out of its usual night-time braid.

It was a cold, crisp morning. Grey clouds plodded gloomily through the sky and the ground was hard. Raina sat shivering by the fire, darning a tear in a green dress. I darted back inside and went over, wrapping her in my blanket. "Thanks Ness", she said shyly.

"You should be inside in this cold."

"It's too dark." She answered practically. However, something in her brown eyes displayed a deeper reason. I frowned. The younger children were easy to soothe, but Raina was fully aware of how precarious the situation had become.

"You can tell me anything you know", I began, smiling slightly but looking away from the child, my eyes fixed on the trees to our left, "I was young once, long ago."

"You didn't live here". Raina sniffed. I pulled my blanket further around her.

"No, but I did not live in the safety of an elvish land either. We lived much as you do. There were harsh winters, hungry mouths, and orcs. More and more orcs as the years went by and the watchful peace came to an end."