Imladris

When I slowly came back to the waking world, the sun had fully risen in the sky. I could feel it on my cheeks and see it in the light behind my eyelids. I didn't open my eyes for some time, enjoying the fresh air on that crisp morning in winter's birth. There were two blankets wrapped around me – my own and another which felt like the thick woven wool of Aragorn's spare. My hands were warm under the blankets and a pleasant fragrance surrounded me.

There were leaves above me, their vivid autumn shades gradually fading. One swirled from its oaken home to settle on my blankets with some others that had fallen in the night. I brushed one out of my hair, for the first time realising that there was something under my head, too, soft like a pillow. Looking slightly to my right I saw that it was Legolas' cloak. My fingers stretched under the blankets. I had been nestled between the roots of the tree above me, and the elves appeared to have made a cosy natural mattress. Despite the strong tincture I had been given the night before, I felt refreshed and awake.

I sat up, stretching, and found a flask of cold, clear water alongside my makeshift bed. As I took a sip, Aragorn, noticing I was awake, stood up from a nearby group of elves and Dúnedain rangers, walking over. "How did you sleep?" he asked, kneeling by my bedside. 

"These people are nice", I said quietly, "they made me a bed out of the grass".

"You deserve somewhere soft and warm to sleep", Aragorn smiled, "and some hot food, too, if you want it".

I nodded, but hesitated slightly, looking at the rather large group Aragorn was sitting with. Glorfindel and Legolas I recognised, but the others I had not seen before. My eyes lingered on one hulking figure of a man, with wavy black hair flecked grey and broad shoulders. "It's alright", Aragorn reassured "They are our friends, and won't bombard you with information. I think everyone just wants to feed you." His eyes lingered on my bony wrists.

I laughed slightly, trying to disguise my nerves about the men sitting around the fire. "Well, then we will get on fine." I shook the creases out of Legolas' cloak and pulled it on.

"I should say", Aragorn began hesitantly, "these men I sit with are dear to me. I would trust them with my own life, and with yours. They would rather die than harm you."

I avoided Aragorn's eyes. "I do not doubt the honour of your men, Aragorn."

He smiled heavily and nodded. "May I help you?" He asked, holding out an arm. I nodded, and he helped me up, letting me lean on him as we walked over to the group. I now saw they were sat around a watchfire, which looked as if it had been burning for some hours. Over it was a pot of oats bubbling, and one of the elves was stirring in some honey from a small glass jar while another handed out bowls.

As Aragorn and I approached, the others around the fire smiled. I smiled slightly back, but it was with relief that I sunk, legs crossed, in between Legolas and Aragorn.

"My name is Lindir, my lady. I am a councillor to Lord Elrond", one elf smiled, handing over a steaming bowl of oats and a spoon. He had chestnut hair and eyes, and his blue clothes fitted his slender frame well. I smiled back and thanked him for the food.

"You already know Legolas, Aragorn and Glorfindel", Lindir continued, and the three of them bowed their heads slightly, Legolas giving me a small, reassuring smile. Lindir gestured to the two others sitting with us. Both were tall, with dark brown hair and light eyes. There was barely an inch of difference between them. "This is Elladan and Elrohir, the sons of Elrond. They are often abroad with the Dûnedain but came across us with the company of rangers you see around you and accompanied us to battle." The twins both smiled easily.

Lindir moved on to the Dúnedain sitting with us. When standing, the largest man might have passed six foot eight. When I threw him a distrustful glance, however, he smiled warmly, the lines around his eyes crinkling. "This is Tarondor, and next to him is his son Mallor." The ginger haired boy who had smiled at me the previous night bowed his head shyly.