Picking Through the Ashes

I was woken by a soft murmur in my ear, a kiss on my cheek. Every inch of me ached, and my eyes stung when I prised them open. Legolas had my head in his lap, and his hands were wound through my hair. He pressed a lingering kiss to my forehead. "You should eat."

I jerked away from him when I looked up to see none other than Elladan bent down beside us. He chuckled. "I am not your adar – nor mine, come to think of it." (S: father)

I smiled tremulously, wincing as Legolas helped me to sit up. He folded a blanket carefully at my back, and I settled onto it with a sigh of relief. 

The room looked much as it always did. My boots were sat at the end of my bed, caked with mud, and my cloak was folded neatly next to them. A comb was strewn between the mattresses, whether mine or Legolas' I could not even remember. There was a full cup next to me, and I reached out carefully with my free hand to take a long draught of water.

The world seemed to have changed. I half expected to slide across the room and fall right off it. However, looking around us at the familiar surroundings, the calamity of the last few days might not have happened at all, if not for the fact that I could recall every second. I squeezed Legolas' hand tightly; the only anchor keeping me from utter despair.

"What time is it?"

"Late morning. You slept like a log." He half smiled, brushing his thumb against my pale skin and then squeezing my hand reassuringly. It looked so small in his.

I swallowed a yawn. The previous evening was a blur. I knew I had washed after the long journey back to the camp, because I was no longer covered in mud, blood and grass stains. I was dressed in a thick, woollen nightgown, which was slightly too big but warm on my aching skin.

"Who dressed me in this?  I could not lift my arms if I tried."

Legolas and Elladan exchanged a tense glance. "I did", Legolas said eventually, his cheeks uncharacteristically flushed. I blushed too, almost wincing as the memory came back to me.

"You wouldn't let anyone else near", Elladan contributed awkwardly, "that is what Firiel told me."

"Thank you." I said quietly to Legolas. He smiled uncertainly, but I shook my head. "Don't be embarrassed. I couldn't go through this without you."

Elladan melted away, closing the hut door with a creak and a click. Legolas shifted closer and kissed my cheek. "Anything I can do for you, I will. It wasn't the worst thing in the world."

I looked up to see him smirking shyly and copied his grin. "It isn't how I pictured you undressing me for the first time."

Legolas allowed himself a chuckle. "If I am lucky enough to have a second chance, it will be so good you'll forget all about it."

I laughed in spite of myself. "Don't get ahead of yourself Sinda".

Elladan returned then, two mugs in his hands. He passed one to each of us, then sunk to the floor as I spoke. "Did you find them?"

He nodded. "Every man who got away. They can't hurt you now."

"Are you all alright?"

Elladan sighed and knelt across Legolas to kiss my cheek. "No one was hurt. How are you?" When I did not answer, he only nodded. "I thought as much. Today's offering isn't quite as good as a cooked breakfast in Imladris, but it's the best we could do."

As if on cue, Elrohir walked in carrying the food. My heart lifted for a while from its heavy cage to see my kin alive and unharmed. He, too, lent across to kiss my cheek, placing my plate on my lap carefully and handing Legolas his food.