32. Revelations

Dedicated to sameerkumar282 ,my friend who helped me a lot to overcome inhibitions! Thank you.

"I am time which never waits...
I shall flow irrespective of physical barriers.
I reveal all that is a mystery...
Explore with me and utilise me well...
For I am the master and I bow to none."

-Elegiac_Damsel

____________________

6th September

Sampurnaa's pov:

It is the day of the court hearing.

The good news is that I have a monthly local train pass and the bad news is that I have no money to spend even on any other public transport this month. I cannot even afford fuel expenses for my scooty. I have vowed to not ask for money from Maa-Baba or even Dada-Boudi.
From the moment I got my own job, I vowed to achieve financial independence. Being a mere studio correspondent, my salary was meagre. This month onwards, my salary is going to be doubled though.

The reason for my promotion is of course Sridha's case!

Anyways! The hearing was scheduled to be at 11.00 am. I left home at 8.30 because I had to walk to the station. I did not inform anyone at home.
The tracks were still waterlogged and the train took more than a usual hour to reach the station. I walked from the station again to the court.

Fortunately, I had chosen to wear flats today!

I reached the court by 10.45 am.
I was out of breath by the time I reached. I had refrained from wearing my formals with blazer since I had to walk. I had just worn a shirt with semi-formal trousers.

I entered the courtroom where everyone was already seated.

The woman from Palghar was sitting near the prosecutor's seat. She was old and nervous. I wonder what she has to do with the Sequiras anyways.

I went and took my seat near Sridha. Her parents were there but her brother had an examination to write. Her college mates and professor were also there.

At exactly 11, the bailiff entered followed by the judge. We stood up paying our respects.

The judge asked us to sit down. Mr. Sequira was brought in and made to stand in one of the witness boxes. The judge asked the prosecutor to begin with the session.

Indrayan got up and sought permission from the judge to call upon Mrs. Arpita Karune, the woman from Palghar.
She went up to the witness box quite nervously. She was fidgeting with the free end of her saree.
The questioning would be in Marathi as requested by the witness. A neutral interpreter had been arranged for by the court.

Once she was sworn in; the prosecutor began questioning:
"Mrs. Karune, would you tell the court about yourself and how you know the Sequiras?"

Indrayan knows how to speak Marathi??!!! Wow! That's amazing! I understand Marathi but my grammar while speaking can kill someone!

Anyways coming back to the case, the woman looked up and started speaking in Marathi. Once she was done, the interpreter gave us an overview of what she said for the benefit of those in the courtroom and also the judge.

She said, "I am a resident of Palghar. I live alone in the village. I was widowed at a young age. I don't have children. Ibrahim and Anya were little kids when I started working at their home in Mumbai. We both lived in a chawl in Ghatkopar but I worked as a domestic help in their home for two years after their mother expired. Their father was a good man. The two children grew up on their own since he would be out for work. They stayed with me the entire day. I was 17 then. Within two years, my husband expired and I returned to my village in Palghar with help from Ibrahim's father. Even long after I left the city, Ibrahim and Anya visited me at my village. They even got me new clothes each time they visited.
However, every time they visited me, one of the neighbourhood girls would go missing. I guessed that they have something to do with the mysterious disappearances. When I confronted Anya, she told me about their business that required new girls. I wasn't aware of this prostitution racket!
Around 25 years ago, Anya came to live with me for a year. She did not say anything but later, it became clear that she was pregnant. She gave birth to a boy and returned back to Mumbai soon after his birth. I tried asking her about the child and his father... But she did not tell me anything! Each time she visited me after that, I never saw the boy with her. I did not see Anya for about 2 years. Two days ago, I saw her near the village well. I am sure it was her!"