33. Eventually

Dedicated to SurbhiSubarana Thank you for not giving up on my story and reading it! Thank you for all the votes

"Life is all about living in this moment,
Expecting and anticipating what is going to happen eventually...

And retrospecting the memories that you cherish having..."

-Elegiac_Damsel

_____________________

10th September

Indrayan's pov:

It has been 4 days since the last hearing at the court. Durga Puja is barely 3 weeks away and Ma and Dad have been going around shopping. They are going to Kolkata with Adrija, Abhimanyu and Abhi's parents.

Sampurnaa and I are staying back since we have no clue about the dates that will be given to us at the court.

I had purchased new clothes and gifts for everyone except Sampurnaa.

I don't know why I am feeling this uncomfortable! It just seems really odd to gift her clothes for puja as is the tradition!

I know she hasn't purchased anything for herself and I genuinely want to give her something... But what? And how?

Finally, an idea struck me.

Ma and Dad are going shopping in the evening. I can simply say everything to Ma.

....

Ma and Dad are going to Sheetal on Grant Road for shopping. Before they could leave, I called Ma aside,

"Ma, kichu bolar chhilo!" (I had something to say)

She looked at me suspiciously and in anticipation.

"Tell me! Have you been roaming about with some random woman? Have you proposed someone? What is wrong?".

Her sudden flurry of questions were totally unrelated to what I had to say!

I rolled my eyes.
"There is nothing like that!"

She sighed relieved and instantly brightened up.

I took this as a sign to continue speaking.
"You know that I had gone shopping with Sampurnaa that day?"

Ma nodded and looked at me inquisitively!

God! Where the hell has my confidence fled to? Why on earth am I not able to get my words out straight?

It is not like I have sinned!

"Ma. Actually... Sampurnaa...she... purchased clothes... For everyone... I mean..."

Ma was visibly losing her patience.

Then she burst out, "Can you please get it all out? Why are you stammering for God's sake? I didn't raise up a lawyer at home for him to stammer and stutter!"

Does anyone wonder why I have trouble controlling my temper at the court?
After all I inherited this from this livewire!

I took a deep breath, looked into her eyes and just got everything out in a go, "Sampurnaa will never admit this if anyone asks, but she has spent all her savings on purchasing gifts and clothes for her family and ours. She did not buy a single meter of cloth that day for herself. I know Dad and you are going to gift her something anyways; it is just that I feel I should gift her something too... But it is weird...
..
..
..
Moreover, she is never going to accept anything from me... Because she knows I am aware of the financial hitch that she has stumbled upon.
Can you get something for her? I will pay for the gift...
But you will give it to her!"