44. The festival of lights

"Love is the soul's light, the taste of morning, no me, no we, no claim of being."

-Rumi

__________

27th October. Happy Diwali! May the darkness in your life always be overpowered by light. Shubh Deepawali

Sampurnaa's pov:

It is Diwali today. Since I took a leave on 25th already, I obviously don't have a leave today. It is a Sunday. My parents, Dada and Boudi are all at home.
We cleaned the entire house over the last week as per tradition. The work on the child's nursery was completed last Monday.
I woke up early today, at 6 a.m., in order to decorate the house and make Rangoli. I had to report to work at 10 a.m.
Being a Sunday, the work that we had was mostly editing work.

I was done with the Rangoli by 8 a.m. when everyone started waking up gradually.

 when everyone started waking up gradually

Rangoli

Dada and Boudi were going shopping for lamps and lights today as they had been busy with my wedding preparations. Maa and Baba were going to be at home.
It was 8.30 a.m. when I was almost ready to leave home for work. My phone rang and an unknown number flashed across the screen.
I received the call.
"Hello?"
It was Priyanka! I can recognise her voice anywhere!

"Hi Priyanka! Happy Diwali! How are you doing?" I asked her excitedly

"Hi. I am well. Happy Diwali to you too! So are you done with Diwali shopping?"
She asked me.

"No. We haven't even begun! Dada is going to the market today with Boudi. Actually they have been very busy with my wedding preparations..."

She interrupted me immediately.
"Your wedding?! You didn't even inform me! How could you do this Sampurnaa?"

I bit my lip guiltily. She has been my friend since high school and it had totally slipped out of my mind!
"Um yes. I am getting married. The wedding was decided just two weeks ago and I forgot that I hadn't told you. I am sorry." I told her in an apologising tone

"When is the wedding?" she asked me

"28th Novemeber. Let us meet up instead of discussing all this over phone! I am sorry... But seriously I need you at my wedding!"

She thought awhile and then said.
"Cool. We'll meet today at noon. What say? At Bandra Bandstand? Café Coffee Day?"

"Done!" I replied without hesitation.
We spoke awhile and then disconnected the call.

I left the house shortly after that and took out my scooty from the garage. It is better not to rely on trains on Diwali at least!

....

I reached office and was immediately handed over a pile of editing work.
More than half the office is on leave today because of Diwali. The senior journalists have taken the entire week off as they are going out with their families.
I had to work 6 hours at least. If I have to meet Priyanka today at 12, then I'll have to put aside two hours for that and then 5 hours for work after that.