Chapter 11

Silent Circle in the Sky:

   "C'mon, we don't have all day, Xeha!"

   "I swear, I really am running as fast as I can!"

   "Well, let's run faster then! Push your limits or you'll miss it!"

   Xeha nearly trips down the stairs as they descend towards the water hand in hand. Not minding a single spectator gaze that followed them, the two rushed through the roads and past the bridge like there was no such thing as a "tomorrow."

   Just as he thought he was going to collapse, Era swiftly swept him off his feet and leaped into a boat, causing it to rock roughly. He unconsciously clutched onto his sweater as he was softly set down on a wooden plank. Ah, his mind was only trying to catch up.

   After a few dozen seconds, Era speaks. "Hey, you can let go now." Xeha withdrew immediately. "Gods, I didn't mean it in a rude way or anything. How do I say this? Uhm, I really wouldn't mind if you wanted to hang off of me for the whole trip but… Just trust me, okay?"

   "I've never been on a boat before," he mumbled incoherently, hand at his rising and falling chest.

   Surprised he actually understood, he smiles and says, "I'm sure you'll be able to get used to it. Pretty soon you're gonna forget you're even on water." The calmer one of the two leans over and pulls out two oars.

   "What do you mean?" He immediately sealed his lips when the boat started shifting. As a response, he clung to the sides desperately.

   Eraqus couldn't help but chuckle at his nervousness. If he remembered correctly, the lights should start about now. He smiled silently. Truly a moment to remember.

   The seabed was dark and serene but was accompanied by the gentle waves that brushed against the boat. Not a single soul could see beyond the reflected crystal sparkles of the moon, leaving an eerie feeling that was somehow left ignored. The only reason Xeha seemed frightened was because of the instability of their ride.

   "I won't let you fall okay?"

   The silver opens his golden eyes and looks at him, turning away immediately. "Yeah, I know. But if I do, I'm bringing you down with me."

   "Ah, so cruel. A bit of Vanitas must've rubbed off on you haha." That was when a lonesome, glimmering light flew into the air. "Hey, Xeha." But he didn't need to be called because he was also gazing at it.

   Both of them watched as light after light illuminated the sky. They danced and twirled as they rose higher and higher toward the heavens and wavered ever so slightly. Why did this somehow seemed so familiar?

   Yes, Xehanort had seen these before. He's seen these from the tower. He takes in a sharp breath. "Those...they were never stars," he says crawling to the end of the boat to seek an in depth observation on those glowing cylinders..

   "I think they're prettier than stars," said Eraqus, who's attention was actually on the person in front of him. With a slight struggle, he pulls back the heavy oars and returned them to where they once laid.

    Xehanort nods his head, agreeing as he extended his arm to poke at one. "I never thought...it would look so nice up close."

   "I'm sure it beats watching from afar, huh? Say, do you know why this festival is so important to everyone?"

   After waving at a few more lanterns, he responded with a direct; "Nope."

   The raven lets out a small, yet disappointed sigh and gazes upwards. "Remember that one story I told you? About the missing royals? These lights are set out on their birthdays, which is, coincidentally on the same exact day as one another. This golden kingdom is forever wishing for their king and prince to return so they set out these lights every year in hopes that it will guide them home.