Chapter 18

The Sundrop Curse:

   "What do you mean 'It's not there'? It should have been the azure gem atop of the throne." Anxiously, Xemnas kicked open the door to the throne room and despite how upset he seemed, gently placed Xehanort on the seat whilst glancing over the other beautiful gems that decorated the chair. Sure enough, the blue stone did not lie where he had claimed it would be, a hollow gap in its place.

   The woman in pink and white robes shifted uncomfortably. "Your Majesty, we have searched all over the room but it has been missing since we have arrived."

   Ira became slightly defensive as well. "We don't know anyone else who could've been here before us." He gestured to the empty oval. "But I have discovered a few small scrapes at the edges. I would assume that a knife was used to remove the Moonstone."

   Xemnas pursed his lips slightly, gazing out of the floor to ceiling windows and flinching at the auburn skies which parted for the bright, setting sun. It was going to be at least two more days before the moon would shift into an actual Waning Gibbous, causing the true king to worry even further. He didn't want any more pain to come to his son and he didn't want any more tragedy to fall on the civilians. The king knelt down and ran his fingers through Xehanort's mixed hair, eyes downcasted and mournful.

   Invi was the one to break the silence. "What shall we do, Your Majesty?"

   The father turned around and stood, furrowing his brows and putting aside his lingering concern to straighten his posture. His kingdom needed him as a king now, not a father. "Ava, I need you to stay here with my son and reduce his waves of discomfort. Invi, the person you will search for is our kingdom's First Class Knight, Vanitas. Ira, there is a group of tavern owners fighting off the knights, order them to direct their protection towards the Prince of Departure, then search alongside Invi to find Vanitas."

   With different tones of confirmation, the three went off to fulfill their orders. Sora and Ventus, who had been quiet the whole time, saluted when their king's eyes settled on them. "I know you two want to see your brother but if he were to lay eyes on you, it would only fuel his motivation. The Moonstone is dangerous to hold and can hurt him tremendously if he becomes distracted. And please, do drop the formalities."

   Sora moved his hand down first and lowered his gaze. "No offense, but that one part wasn't all that helpful." He held his hands behind his head and leaned on the side. "Maybe you could have left that part out?"

   Next to him, Ventus released a long sigh. "It's so we don't rush in and do something we might regret. After all these years, you still haven't practiced common sense?"

   A shrug. "What can I say? It's been a long time since work came along"

   "How does that influence it?"

   Xemnas took a moment for them to quiet down before he spoke once more. "Sora, you'll meet Naminé and Roxas at the hidden library, they'll let you in on the plan when you get there. Ventus, if you don't mind, I would like for you to assist me with...immortal matters."

   They nodded in unison, Sora heading out first, Ventus reaching over to pull on his helmet and pushed open one of the large doors as he waited for the king. The king, also a father, glanced back at the two persons at the throne, his focus briefly on Xehanort until he had to forcefully peel his eyes away and step through the door. At that moment, the halls became impossibly longer.

   A fool he was to think he could win against an immortal. No matter what power he borrowed or even the one he possessed, he alone could not assure that this being of darkness before him could be erased from it's handmade existence. Ansem made himself known, he grew with power despite how much he slacked on that stolen throne. But even so, had been able to prove he had earned that spot above him as a king. Even if that title was also stolen.