Chapter 13

Fate:

"Roxas!" The girl with black hair waves her arms towards him as she ran. "Sorry about the wait!"

"Took you two long enough," he said, not turning to look as he kept his attention forward. "How's the King?"

"Well, I'd say he's pretty alive," says Demyx, who folded his arms. "Who are these knights? Wait, don't tell me-"

The blond told him anyway. "Vanitas from the first class and Terra from the Silver Kingdom. I didn't expect you at all, Terra. Did you not honor the Silvers?"

"You have no right to talk! You ran away with your tail between your legs while I'm actually protecting what you simply cannot!"

"You're such a hypocrite!"

There was a long silence until Vanitas, who had remained silent during this exchange, finally spoke up. "Ventus...no?"

Roxas sighed and shook his head. "No...I'm not sure what actually happened to those two but I am looking for them as well. Listen, I can't explain anything to you if you keep blocking our path. You have to leave the prince to Eraqus or the whole kingdom's prosperity is at stake," he said. "I understand that you feel left behind, I get it. Vanitas, Terra, please, you have to listen to us before it's too late."

The bronze knight clenched his fist. "What do you know about anything?"

"...More than you'll ever know."

"Ven... Roxas? Just who are you exactly?" asked Vanitas, unable to hold back to desperation in his voice.

Once more, he shook his head. "Sometimes it's best to not know the truth."

"What's so wrong with wanting some answers?! I've already lived my life in the dark! My brothers are dead! Just tell me something I need to hear, even if... even if it hurts. At least it'll be the truth..."

The five of them stood silent as the waves brushed the shore. At that moment, Roxas couldn't help but sigh again but this time it was different.

A transparent mist escaped his lips as he closed his eyes and complained silently. When he opened them, they glew softly. "Terra, Vanitas..." he whispered. "You don't want do this; chasing around something that's unattainable. Come and join us and all your questions shall be answered."

The two gazed as his eyes, so focused that they didn't notice the two behind them also watched with a blue, contagious gaze. They stood there, whispering the same words and extended out their hands. It was almost like a ritual. Maybe it was.

"Your brothers are alive, Vanitas. Let me take you to them."

"I won't leave you," he whispered softly.

"I don't want to take the risk, Eraqus. You're something I don't want to lose."

Under the palm of his hand, he could feel the pulse as it grew more rapid and at the same time, his did the same. Leaning in, he said, "I know it hasn't been very long, Xehanort but I really can't leave you behind now that you're here. You see, I've been...waiting you could say."

"...For what?"

As he asked, the latter pulled his hand away and backed away back a step, kneeling down to pick up an item. The ribbon. Xehanort watches him carefully as he remained on one knee and holding out the ribbon as if it were an offering. "I can't tell much but all I can say is that I want you to trust me when I tell you I'll stay."