Part II

Part II

"Matthias... MATTHIAS!" yelled Alfred. "Give me back my phone! It's been ten minutes that you've been checking him out! You should be looking for a job dude."

Matthias looked at Alfred quizzically. "A job? Since when were you a fun sucker? I'm going to get a job, just wait."

As Matthias was finishing his sentence, a text was sent to Alfred's phone- "Hey bro! Lukas is looking for a new personal secretary. He fired Francis. Poor guy... Anyway, I've recommended Matthias so Mr. Bondevik wants to interview him tomorrow. Love Matthew"

Alfred quickly snatched the phone from Matthias, but it was too late. He had already read Matthew's text. "That's it! Now I get to meet Lukas!" Matthias jumped off of the sofa and raced home. He put out his best work suit and fell fast asleep, hoping that somehow he could get the job tomorrow.

-DAWN OF THE SECOND DAY-

Matthias walked into the giant office building, collecting himself, and hoping to make a good impression. A shorter blonde man greeted him. "Welcome! You must be Mr. Køhler. Right this way, sir," he said, his voice laced with a British accent. "My name is Arthur Kirkland. Pleased to meet you!" He extended his hand, and Matthias quickly shook it.

"Do I look alright?" asked Matthias nervously.

"You'll be fine, love," replied Arthur. He led Matthias to a rather beautiful room covered completely with glass windows. In it stood a long metal table, most likely used for conferences and meetings. Matthias took a seat and a deep breath. "Best of luck!" smiled Arthur as he left the room.

Even if Lukas is awful, at least there's someone nice here, though Matthias. His daydreams were quickly interrupted by an opening door. Everything in the room seemed to suddenly stop and bow in the presence of this man. There was no doubt about it- it was Lukas Bondevik.

Matthias quickly stood up and shook Lukas' hand. "It's nice to meet you Lu-"

"Mister Bondevik," corrected Lukas. "Sit."

Matthias immediately obeyed. Lukas paced behind Matthias' chair. "To be honest, I don't know why Mr. Williams so highly recommended you. He raved about how diligent and intelligent you are, but now that I see you here, I'm not in the least impressed. How disappointing." Lukas' voice was smoother than velvet, yet it had an exacting, lethal edge to it that sent shivers down Matthias' spine. It was lethally placid, much like his eyes.

Lukas held a file in his hand. He flipped through the papers with mechanical ease and pulled out a single sheet that seemed to tremble in his grasp. Lukas took a seat. "Matthias Køhler. Twenty three years of age. Attended University of Copenhagen with a BA. Majored in history and minored in classic literature. How dull." Lukas put the paper down and stared at the window. "I am not impressed."

"I'm sorry Lu- Mr. Bondevik. I-I should just go."

Lukas stared Matthias up and down and hung his head in resignation. "It seems we have no other applicants. Since Mr. Williams has," he cleared his throat, "recommended you so highly, I have no other choice but to hire you." Lukas stalked up to Matthias and pulled his tie so that the two were dangerously close. "This, however, means nothing," snarled Lukas, though with no inflection whatsoever in his voice. "Don't think even for a second that you are anything special. You mean nothing to me. Everyone is replaceable," Lukas pulled away, making Matthias fall back in his chair from the force, "Especially you. Reassure me that I have not made a mistake in hiring you. I will see you at 9AM sharp tomorrow. One second after nine and you're fired." He stood up and walked towards the door. "Good luck Mr. Køhler. You will need it," Lukas stated while closing the door behind him.

Matthias stared at the door. Maybe Alfred was right, he thought. He looked down at his briefcase and walked out of the room, hoping that he would survive the next day.