Part VIII

8:58 AM. Lukas sat in his office chair, eyes burning a hole through the clock in the wall. He knew that there was no worse way to punish Matthias than to make him come back. But would he?

Matthias' fingers trembled as he pressed the elevator button. He knew he needed a job, and no other company would pay half as well. But he couldn't bear to see Lukas' face again. The marks on his face still burned a bright red, just a small reminder of the fire raging inside of him. He walked into the office, head hung in defeat. He greeted no one, just sat at his desk. As the clock struck 9 AM, Matthias felt the familiar chill. He felt eyes freezing his heart like the snow last night. He felt the heat in his face from where he was hit. Mist if all, he felt a longing to reach out and hold Lukas. He wanted to be kissed, to be appreciated, to be loved. It was all he ever wanted. And above Matthias stood the man who took it all away from him.

"Coffee," came the icy command. His voice was no longer "lethally placid". It was nothing but lethal. Sharp, painful, yet commanding.

What can I do, say no? Should I just quit? thought Matthias. Is it worth it?

"I said. I. Want. Coffee," hissed Lukas. His eyes said it all. He didn't even need to speak. They whispered, "Aren't you satisfied, Matthias? This is how it always works out. You played my game- a game I always win."

Matthias nodded weakly and went to make Lukas' coffee. Black Starbucks Pike Place Special Reserve. 80°C. He reluctantly brought the cup back to his boss' office. "H-here,"

Lukas grabbed the cup. "Leave."

Matthias did as he was told. He couldn't find it In himself to rebel. He was staring at his own cup of coffee, watching the swirling clouds of cream penetrate the entire drink, until he was interrupted.

"' 'xcuse me. Are ye M'tthias K'hler?" asked a giant-sized blonde man. His accent was think and nearly unintelligible. Swedish, he assumed. " 'm B'wald Ox'nstierna. 's Mr. B'nd'vik here?"

"He's in his office. You can go in."

Berwald walked into the office with footsteps that could shake the earth. He had pale blonde hair, paler than Lukas' and sea green eyes that were cold, yet benevolent. More juxtaposition. Great. At least this man seemed to be married. He had a wedding band on his finger.

Berwald closed the door softly behind him. "H'llo Mr. B'nd'vik."

Lukas answered him with an unblinking stare.

" 'm sorry abiut this, but m' w'fe Tino and I just adopted a son. Probl'm is, we're having a h'rd time paying f'r things like mortgage 'nd school. I w's just wond'ring if there w's a way that maybe I could g't a raise, 'r some kind of financi'l help."

Lukas stared at him, aghast. "Who do you think you are," he snapped. "It was your mistake to get the kid, and yet you have the audacity to ask me for money? You dare to take advantage of me and think that I will just give you my hard earned money? How dare you? You better thank me for this. I won't fire you this time. But don't expect a Christmas bonus or any payment for the next two months. Find a way to pay for things now. Maybe then you'll learn how grateful you should be to me."

Berwald nodded his head slowly and walked towards the door. "S'rry..." he whispered as he left. Matthias saw his tall and mighty figure falter with rejection and worry. How was he going to pay for Peter's Christmas? How could he pay the mortgage?

Matthias pitied him, another victim of Lukas' hurt. Another loser in Lukas' game.