Part IV

At 9:00 on the dot, Matthias felt a sudden chill enter the room. Sure enough, there he was. Lukas Bondevik stood, towering above him. "Good morning, Mr. Bondevik," stammered Matthias, uncomfortable under Lukas' harsh gaze.

Lukas raised his head and turned towards the door to his office. Still facing the door, Lukas finally answered. "Get me my coffee, Køhler."

Matthias nodded obediently. "What kind, sir?"

Lukas turned to face him. "Remember this well. This is the only time I will tell you. Black, Starbucks Pike Place Special Reserve. 80° Celsius exactly. Any colder or hotter and I will send it back. Be back in fifteen minutes. Understood?"

"Y-yes sir," replied Matthias.

Lukas walked into his office like a king, commanding everything in his path to submit to him. Everything was his, everything the light touched belonged to him. Lukas Bondevik was untouchable.

Matthias ran to get Lukas' coffee, hoping desperately not to upset his boss. He measured it to the exact temperature and was back in 14 minutes. He rushed into Lukas' office and placed the cup of coffee on his desk. Lukas carefully inspected the cup and room a sip. Matthias rubbed his hands together nervously, hoping to appease Lukas. "You actually did something right. This must be a first, ja?" smirked Lukas. "Not bad Køhler. Get back to work." He sent Matthias off with a wave of a hand, and for once, Matthias felt a sense of pride. Of course, he had simultaneously been ridiculed, but the feelings of accomplishment shone through.

Matthias took several calls quickly and efficiently. At his lunch break he walked into Lukas's office and told him, "Thank you for giving me a chance, Mr. Bondevik. It means so much to me."

Lukas looked up from his desk, astonished at what he was hearing. "You're thanking me?" he asked, eyebrow raised.

"Yes, sir."

Lukas regained his composure and did something he hadn't done in a long time- a very long time. Lukas Bondevik smiled.