Part III

Matthias awoke at 5 AM the next morning to the sound of his alarm clock blaring "Take on Me". He knew that a-ha was from Norway, not Denmark, but something about the song stuck with him. He sat up I'm his bed, dazed. "Take on me... Take me on... Jeg blir bort... I en dag eller to..." Matthias slurred the words, changing randomly from English to Norwegian. Finally he gathered himself together and got ready for the big day.

At 7:30 he drove out of his small Oslo flat in his equally small Honda Accord, given to him by his friend Kiku Honda, who was now the CEO of his family's business. Why do I have so many rich friends? Matthias thought as he drove through the streets of Oslo. It was certainly the best decision he had ever made to move to Norway. It was far more beautiful and mystical than his home country of Denmark and the culture was far more interesting as well. Ah, if only Lukas would give me a chance... he daydreamed.

Matthias arrived at the massive building. He had always admired it for its architectural beauty, and now for its owner. Quickly, Matthias strode inside, feeling a sense of belonging in such an elite locale. He checked his watch as he landed on the 40th floor, the executive floor, the floor where the people of importance worked. But most of all, it was Lukas' floor. 8:45. Matthias smiled broadly as he noted his accomplishment. What a great start to a great day, he mused.

"Good morning, Mr. Køh-"

"Matthias. Just Matthias," he grinned. "Good morning to you too, Arthur!"

Arthur nodded and led Matthias down a long hallway. "Follow me, love. This is where you will be working." He walked through two large glass doors and into a posh room, furnished with chairs, a side table, and another table with a vase of flowers. On the walls hung several portraits of what Matthias assumed were Bondevik ancestors. Quite a handsome bunch, he thought. "Mr. Bondevik only furnishes his offices with the very finest." He pointed to a large receptionist desk on the side of the large room. "This is your desk. I hope it is to your liking."

"It certainly is, Arthur," replied Matthias.

"Good. Now this is the phone. Answer all calls with 'You have reached the office of Lukas Bondevik. How may I help you?', and when they ask to speak to him, connect them to the line by pressing this button." He pointed to a silver button on the receiver. "If he is not there, say 'I apologize, but Mr. Bondevik is not in at the moment. May I take a message?', then you take their name and number and write down their message. Then, email it to Mr. Bondevik or tell him when he comes in. His office is right through those doors," Arthur pointed to another set of frosted glass doors at the front of the room. "You will be able to tell his while he's on his way in. Any questions?"

Matthias shook his head. "No, I think I've got it. Thank you!"

"Your schedule is already posted on your computer. Other than answering calls, do whatever Mr. Bondevik tells you to. I trust that he will be thorough with his explanations. Call me if you need any help."

"I will," replied Matthias as Arthur walked out of the room. First day on the job... It's an adventure... Yeah... He thought to himself. Now all I have to do is wait for... Lukas, he thought, with a shiver.