Part IX

Matthias could no longer hold it in. He was sick of being hurt by Lukas. But when he hurt others who did him no wrong, he could not just be a bystander and watch. Matthias knew he would lose his job. He knew his fate. He was the loser, as always. What was new? He stormed into Lukas's office, slamming the door behind him. "What did you do to Berwald?" he ordered.

Lukas narrowed his eyes at his opponent. "I have no need to tell you anything."

"You do when you're taking your anger out on innocent people!"

Lukas raised his hand, poised to deliver a shattering final blow. But something stopped him. He saw the fear in Matthias' eyes, still broken from the night before, like a child who just discovered that there is evil in the world. He lowered his hand. "Berwald does not concern you."

"I heard everything, Lukas! You ruined his Christmas and his life!"

"It was his choice to adopt that kid, not mine. He should have known what an extra expense it would be. Why should I condone his mistakes?"

"Please, Lukas," Matthias' voice broke, "I know this is a result of what happened last night but please listen to me. I can chan-"

Lukas' anger hit a fever pitch. "ENOUGH. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING. DID IT EVER OCCUR TO YOU THAT YOU WERE NEVER GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME? WAS THAT NOT CLEAR? GET OUT OF MY OFFICE. DO NOT EVER COME BACK." His words still echoed through the room, like the spirit of a person who had just been killed.

Matthias said nothing. He stared into Lukas' eyes, not even bothering to find the beauty in them, not desperately trying to change Lukas' mind. This is who he wanted to be. No one could change that. He walked of of the room, head hung in defeat. He packed his bags and left the office building. "It's not like I belonged there anyway," he reminded himself.

Lukas stood there, in shock of what he just did. It didn't matter where Matthias came from. He has the only person he ever loved, and the only person who had ever loved him. How could he have been so blind? He felt a tear running down the side of his face, but he wasn't crying. Was he? The tear felt so alien to him. He had never cried, save for when he was very young. The icy drop felt so wrong as it fell to the floor. Why did it matter what Vash said? Lukas hung his head. His name. He was a multi billionaire. Matthias was his secretary. Lukas owned an oil company. Matthias was his secretary. Lukas desperately wanted to love Matthias. But Matthias was nothing but his secretary. It was a silent code, not to be broken. The difference between the classes were too extreme. Vash was right.

But if this is how to make everything right again, why am I so sad? Lukas wondered.