Part VII

Lukas shook his head. "I have to at least be hospitable."

He walked back into the living room and saw the TV.

"There will be a big snow storm tonight. The Prime Minister has declared that all people in Oslo stay indoors. Police will be scouting the area and fining those who are still wandering the streets."

Lukas sighed. Great, just perfect. He thought. "Well, it looks like you have no choice but to stay here."

Matthias shook his head. "I can't ask that of you, Lukas."

"There's no other option. Police are ticketing those who are on the streets. If it were up to me, I would send you home, but it's out of my hands."

"Thank you Lukas. You're too kind."

Lukas nodded. "Are you hungry?"

"No, thank you."

Lukas shrugged. "Do you want a tour of the house, then?"

"Sure, I would love that."

Lukas led Matthias through his manor, exquisitely decorated with a mix of traditional Norwegian and avant garde modern furnishings. He finally led Matthias up to the rooftop terrace, illuminated by the light of the fresh moon. He opened the door for Matthias as he walked onto the terrace, glittering with snow.

"It's beautiful," whispered Matthias breathlessly.

"Thank you, Matthias."

The Danish man turned to look into Lukas' eyes, slowly becoming lost in the sapphire expanses. Lukas began to feel a tug at his heart as well, as he slowly placed his hand on top of Matthias' hand. "Lukas... I guess this is the right time to tell you."

"Tell me what?" asked Lukas, his voice noticeably softer.

Matthias leaned in closer. "I love you."

Lukas quickly closed the distance between them, and for a second, they both felt like they belonged there.

However, his conversation with Vash replayed through his head. Matthias was nothing but an employee. This was wrong. So wrong. And here was his chance, his window of opportunity to make things right again. He forcefully broke the kiss and stared into Matthias' eyes, his dreamy eyes replaced by his usual piercing gaze. Matthias' smile faltered. "L-Lukas?"

Lukas stood there for a moment, contemplating his next move, when anger took control and he struck his hand across Matthias' face with immense force. Matthias fell to the ground and looked up at Lukas helplessly, tears glittering in his eyes.

Lukas' words cut through Matthias like a razor blade. "You mean nothing to me. You never did. You are nothing but a secretary, and you never will be anything more!" His monotonous voice was scorching with anger. "I don't love you and nobody in this whole world does! You are nothing but trash Matthias Køhler. Get out of my life." He turned towards the door.

Matthias' voice was small and weak. "I-I don't understand... I... We... What happened...?"

Lukas delivered another blow to Matthias' face and stood leering above him. "That is none of my concern. You are none of my concern. I gave you an order. Get out." Lukas walked through the door and slammed it.

Matthias cried in pain, the snow mocking him, freezing his body and his heart. He finally gathered enough strength to walk inside and proceeded to walk down the stairs. Lukas stood at the top of the staircase, looking down upon him, satisfied with his punishment. "You will be at work at 9 AM tomorrow morning. Any later and you will be fired."

Those were practically the same words spoken to him earlier, but now they carried such gravity, that it would crush Matthias even to reply. He nodded, avoiding eye contact with Lukas, and walked out of the house. Alfred was right the whole time...