Conclusion (For Alternate Ending)

Matthias laced his fingers through the Norwegian's platinum blonde hair. Lukas' eyes remained fixated on the ground. "Hey, what's wrong, Luka? It's almost Christmas! You should be excited!" He smirked deviously, "It's also our eight-month-a-aversarry!"

Lukas growled. "I'm not excited. I'm depressed."

"Well obviously," groaned Matthias. "Seriously, elskling, what's the matter?"

"I just want to be alone," Lukas sighed as he stood up from the sofa. "I'll be outside."

He walked out into the cold Norwegian night and looked up at the stars. 'You have made so many mistakes, Lukas. So very many mistakes. You are unforgivable and unloveable. Look at all of the people whose lives you have ruined. Berwald and his family...' Then a thought struck Lukas. He dashed back home, scarf flailing madly behind him. He pounded at the door, "Let me in Matthias. Now!"

Matthias raced to the door and opened it frenziedly. "Lukas?! Are you ok?!"

Lukas shook his head. "Get in the car, loser. We're going shopping."

Before the Dane could congratulate him for his excellently timed quote, Lukas was already in the car, gaze never leaving the road ahead. The second Matthias got in, the red Ferrari was already at full speed, raging toward some location unbeknownst to Matthias. "Luka, where are we going?" he whimpered.

"Don't ask questions. It'll save me time and money."

"Money?"

Lukas groaned, "Never mind."

He finally pulled into the parking lot of the nearest Volvo dealership and ran to the service counter. Lukas leaned over the counter and panted, "XC 90. Silver. Brand new. I'll take it." He took a deep breath. "How much?"

The assistant smiled and handed Lukas a pen. "It's a pleasure to see you here, Mr. Bondevik. That will be $48,900. But sir, don't you want to test drive it first?"

"No," he replied, handing over the check. "I just need the car."

Matthias was observing the strange situation the whole time, but never dared to question Lukas' logic. He always seemed to be knowing what he was doing.

The saleswoman led them to the lot, where Lukas chose the car within a split second. "That one," he demanded.

"Ok sir. Please sign here, and here, and here," she said, handing Lukas a clipboard. He neatly signed and tossed her the pen. He was already racing to the car. Matthias took the keys from the woman and thanked her for her help. The Norwegian sped on towards a suburban area, lined with cookie cutter houses with impeccable lawns. He parked in front of one that appeared to be for sale. He stalked to the door and rang the doorbell impatiently. That familiar look of arrogance, pride, and selfishness washed over his face.

A short blonde man answered the door. He nearly froze when he saw the Norwegian standing at his doorstep. "M-Mr. Bondevik! W-we didn't expect you! P-please do come in." He motioned to Matthias and smiled, "You too, sir."

Lukas and Matthias walked in, and immediately Tino rushed to the stairs. "Berwald, Mr. Bondevik is here," he called. There came no reply, but heavy footsteps made their way downstairs.

"H-Hej Mr. B'ndevik. How c'n I help ye?"

Lukas inspected the room thoroughly, taking in all of the lovely Finnish furs and finely crafted Swedish furniture. But despite these Scandinavian luxuries, the house was plain and simple, as if they were clinging on to any semblance of wealth amidst the stark contrast of plain white walls and an even plainer budget. Berwald dressed simply and unstylishly, as did Tino, further proving their dire situation. Lukas finally replied, "You and Tino seem to be so calm and peaceful, despite the fact that you are tearing at the seams. You are about to lose your house, your job is in jeapordy, and you cannot afford your son's education."

Berwald looked down, ashamed of the truths so cruelly rehashed by his boss. But suddenly, a sly smile spread across Lukas' face for a reason comepletely unbeknownst to Berwald. "Which is why you should get a raise, a Christmas bonus, and should come outside to see your new car," replied the Norwegian.

"D-did I hear ye c'rrectly?" questioned Berwald, aghast.

Lukas nodded, handing Tino a generous check. "Of course. I just handed Tino your five hundred thousand dollar bonus, and you can expect a raise on future paychecks. Your new car is waiting outside."

Tino and Berwald rushed to see the new, shiny Volvo in their driveway. "I-it's a Volvo," gasped Berwald.

"Made in Sweden, just like you," Lukas nodded. He handed the Swede the keys and nodded. "Give my love to Peter. Merry Christmas."

As the couple frenziedly inspected their new car, Lukas slipped away, Matthias hurrying right behind. "Lukas, where are you going?"

Lukas sighed, "How can I feel happy when I know I've ruined their lives so horribly." He got into the car, as did Matthias, and proceeded to drive home.

Matthias shook his head. "Luka, I have no idea what just happened there. That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I can't even begin to tell you how touching that was. But how did you change so much all on your own?"

"Elskling," whispered Lukas, eyes brimming with tears, "I didn't change on my own. It was all you, Matthias. It was all you. You made a miser into a man again, and you opened my eyes to the real world. No, I didnt change, Matthias. You changed me."