Part X (alternate version)

Lukas inspected the ballroom. Everything was meticulously decorated. Everything was perfect and in its place. He sighed. It had been a year since he had his troubles with Matthias. He had not seen the man since, just as he had ordered. Matthias always was obedient...

He had no time to be reflecting on his- no, Matthias' past mistakes. It was the company's holiday party, and the guests would be coming any minute. Faced passed, and the room soon became flooded with a sea of people. Employees, their families and friends, Lukas' friends, everyone seemed so happy just to be with each other. Why wasn't he? Through the crowd he caught a glimpse of a familiar face. A pair of crystal blue eyes, glittering like diamonds. How could it be? No doubt, it was Matthias.

The two eyes met, and for a split second, everything was right again. Matthias walked slowly to Lukas, each step weighed with uncertainty. "Lukas...?" he whispered, voice tense.

"Matthias," answered Lukas, dulling the sharpness of his tone. He saw the pain in the blue eyes, the empty space where his happiness once lied. Lukas knew he had taken it away from him. He knew the feeling all too well.

"It's been a long time," sighed Matthias.

Lukas replied without hesitation. "Too long. Far too long." He felt arms wrap around him, a blonde head resting on his shoulder, and innocent Danish tears running down his neck. For once, his own pride didn't matter. He took a deep breath and said two words he had never said before. "I'm sorry." The words felt so strange leaving his lips. They awkwardly spilled out, like a spilled cup of coffee.

Matthias looked up, tears glittering in his eyes. "W-what?"

Lukas gently placed a hand on Matthias' cheek, so unlike the harsh beatings he gave him on that night. He leaned forward and kissed Matthias on the forehead. "I love you. No matter what the rules say. We are the winners in this game, and you and I will break every rule... Except one."

Matthias held Lukas' hand. "And what would that be?"

"The winners take it all."