chapter sixteen

SPOILERS FOR SEASONS 1 AND 3
ONLY THROUGH MENTIONING
READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

If you read past this point
You're not allowed to get mad at me

"So, you're telling me, that a squad of villains-"

"The league of villains, there aren't a lot of them around, ___!"

"Right right, The league of villains kidnapped Bakugan to try and get him to join them and be all evil. And that's why you have dorms?" 

Midoriya confirmed my recap of his story with a nod, swallowing the sip he'd taken from his bubble tea before continuing. 

"Yup! Looking back this all could've been avoided if he'd been beaten At the sports festival…" He laughed in the way one would laugh at a joke they didn't really find funny but it was told by your friend so you had to laugh for them. I paused and placed my drink down, looking across the table at my friend. 

"Holy shit yeah, he did win that, didn't he? Oh my god, he did! I totally forgot about that." I leaned back in the booth, allowing the corner of my lips to raise. "Of course it was him, no one could yell so much in a day without losing their voice." 

A snort shot from Midoriya's mouth and was quickly followed by a second. His hand covered his face to keep the mango drink from spraying across the table. 

The reaction outweighed the comedy of my joke, but seeing Midoriya laugh in person instead of seeing 'BAHAHAHA! IM CACKLING' pop up on my phone screen filled me with pride. Knowing that the friend I'd known for six months was real. Flesh and bone. Sitting across from me with a mango bubble tea. Life is good sometimes. 

"I still can't believe this all actually happened." I said, taking a sip of my own drink. Mirdoriya nodded profusely in agreement. 

"Sometimes, I'll wake up, and think that it was a fever dream from working myself too hard." He laughed at his own statment, obviously intending it to be a joke. It didn't exactly land though. I shook my head slightly as a breath fell from my lips. 

"You literally don't know the meaning of self care, dummy. Take a bath, use a facemask, buy an overpriced frappe, or something." 

This is starting to sound like the last time you had a 'girls night' with your brother. 

Midoriya shrugged, averting eyes to the apparently interesting table and the straw if his drink. 

"Well, things certainly aren't easy considering the villain attacks-"

"Wait, attacks? As in plural? Please don't tell me LOVE MUFFIN* has you on a hit list or something." What I wanted to hear was 'of course not, ____! I live a totally safe bubble life in my convenient dorm room!', but the shaky smile that pulled at my friend's lips and the wrinkle between his eyebrows only fueled the dread in my mind. My shoulders relaxed and slumped as I looked across the table at him.

"Goddammit. You had one job." Midoriya snapped his eyes to me, the embarrassed smile gone and replaced with pure offense. 

"It's not like I caused the villain attacks-" he paused, looking blankly at the wall of the cafe for a moment before leaning back in his chair with a finger to his lips, "well, actually, at the mall he was there to see me which was probably because of the attack at the USJ center..." He trailed off as he spoke, voice lowering as he began to mutter and count off the numerous attacks on his fingers. Noticing that mirdoriya was deep in his own mind, I leaned back in my chair and took a sip of my drink. 

So, we walked into a muder zone? And we're getting coffee with the epicenter of it all? 

Yup, sounds like a normal Saturday to me.