chapter twenty

"Ay-o?" The noise shouted through the lobby, bouncing off the entryway like the kids did in The Cat In The Hat live action movie. The only question is where is Mike Myers? 

"Please get here soon, they said. Kaminari won't stop crying, they said. Well where the fuck are these boy tears. I'm thirsting over here." I continued to mutter as I walked the halls. Is there a lounge or kitchen that I'm supposed to know about? I stopped in my own dorms for a good .2 seconds before running back to my parents to help them set up. 

I could always knock on a door but I also don't want to mess up somebody's 'self-care' time. 

Okay, well, am I just going to walk around the building like a creeper them? 

Definitely. Because we are a creeper. 

Don't say 'we' like that. It makes it sound like I'm venom or some shit. 

Like we're venom*.

I'm done talking to myself. 

UA didn't spare any expense building the dorms. At least, the hero course's dorms that is. I hope the general course's dorms had the same ceiling-to-floor windows and god tier carpet. Or better windows and carpet. Just so I could say my dorms were better than my brother's. If Solis' dorms were better than mine, I'd never hear the end of it. 

An idea popped into my head. My feet slowed to a stop as I ripped my phone from my coat pocket. The satisfying vibration accompanied by phone opening as I swiped through my apps. I paused, thumb hovering over the small shape, the fingerprint etched on orange and purple. 

The bane of my existence has become my savior. 

Don't tell my mom. I thought as I opened Life 360. 

"Where there's Solis, there's Kiwi which means Bakugan and Kirishima can't be far and where there's four, the rest follow." The map unfolded across the screen, lines drawing sidewalks and building businesses out of squares. I zoomed in on the 1-A dorms, watching as my profile circle separated from Solis'.

Holding the phone out like a dowsing rod, I began the trek. Well, it was more of a stroll since I'd arrived at the room a few seconds later. Double checking on the phone, I raised my hand to knock on the door. 

"Just a second!" Rustling sounded behind the door. "Dude I told you to wait ten minutes-"

"Yo, Solis, get your ass over to the teacher dorms before dad burns your Pokemon cards-" I stopped. Solis was not standing in the doorway. I noticed this from three signs:

Solis does not have a deep voice 

Solis does not have red hair 

Solis definitely does not have ABS

It was at that moment I realized: Right door. Wrong floor.

I found myself staring at the muscles, vision wavering along the lines like an optical illusion. 16 year olds don't need abs. They need to sit their asses down and learn interpersonal skills. Though...I guess I couldn't be complaining...since it's evidence of hard work. 

Snapping my gaze away, I focused on the face. A face that definitely didn't belong to my brother. Flicking through my mental files, I couldn't match the bright red hair to a name. The volume felt mismatched with the color. It's flatness as it hung in front of his eyes feeling uncharacteristic for the ungodly red. However, I'd be lying if I said he didn't look cute-

I cleared my throat, trying to dislodge whatever obstruction kept oxygen from reaching my brain. Because these thoughts could only be caused by a lack of oxygen.