chapter twenty-four

Fricking dad. Making me get the fricking groceries still. We live with the best chef to probably ever exist. Why do we need to buy food?

Rubber sneakers slapped against pavement. Ant cried out to the malicious God that trampled their homes without a second thought. The giants are angry. Angry at the world for making them get groceries for fricking chili when they should be hanging out with their friends- wait, forget that. Ants don't know anything about friends.

I thanked whatever God existed for the AC of the convenience store. In this case, it was MoMo, obviously.

The cans of beans sounded like a shout through a megaphone as I put them into the basket. Pinto and garbanzo stared up at my passive aggressive frown, probably judging me as I complained about life. My reasoning is sound though, stupid beans.

Solis hasn't gone on an errand since he was six. Hero course or not, he should be the one Dad sends to the convenience store that we don't need to go to. Because we live at a private school for fucking celebrities. But whatever. I'll buy the beans.

Buying beans seemed like an easy task, right? I assumed it would be. The world had a different plan for me however. As I walked towards the counter and the, kind of cute, cashier, the door swung open and harshly slammed against the wall. A bright light filled the store, leaving me blinking away green circles from my vision.

"Holy shit, that actually worked. I mean- HOLY SHIT, THAT ACTUALLY WORKED- Ah, I mean, UNLESS YOU WANT A STAR IN YOUR HEAD TOO, BACK THE FUCK UP!" Through the circles, I could only discern a general shape of the criminal. A bulky torso and shoes that looked like the snow boarding shoes I got when I was six for Christmas. This bitch means business.

I ducked behind the shelf before they could spot me, praying that the sound of clanking beans wasn't as loud as it sounded in my head.

"If I do, are you going to buy a new door?" The cashier spoke. My jaw fell as I looked at him through the shelves. Does he want to die?

"What the- Did you not hear me? Back away or else you'll have a smoking hole where your head should be!" The criminal shot back, a slight waver to the voice at first before returning to the menacing promise.

Inside my basket, the can of pinto beans shifted slightly to the right and made a sound on par with Bakugou after I kicked his door in. I froze, hand jerking slightly as the muscles tensed and sending the other cans clattering against each other. Each time I listened for the voice to call me out, order me to walk forward and accept death like a man, but I only heard the cashier and criminal bantering back and forth.

You know, if we weren't in a possible death scenario, that would probably sound hilarious.

Death scenario? My breathing quickened as my vision finally cleared. One piece of clarity being switched for another.

Deep breaths, ____. They're going to hear your loud ass breathing before the beans.

I sucked in a deep breath for four counts, holding for seven, then releasing for eight and repeated two more times. Carefully setting the basket on the ground, I thanked the cheap corporations for getting quiet floors.

There you go. Now listen. Try and get out of there.

But what about the cashier?

Fuck the cashier. Get out and get a hero.

I've lived in this neighborhood for 15 years and the only 'heroes' I've seen patrolling are my parents taking a walk in the park.

Okay, bitch, then call your mommy.