28. Agliata

I turned around to see Tessa standing with a drink in each hand.

"Its been ages since I've met you!" Tessa cried out. I went up to her to hug her even though it was awkward, with her trying to balance two coffee cups in her hand. 

"I missed you so much. How're you?"

"I'm good. My fiance and I got back from our honeymoon few weeks ago. I tried reaching out to you but you number seems to be unavailable now."

"I had to dispose that phone because Gustav told me to do so. I tried looking for you too at your hair saloon but I guess you were still at your honeymoon."

"Mhm. We might be broke but my wife and I are always up for travelling. We went to Indonesia and later to Fiji which was quite budget friendly."

"I'm glad that you guys had fun!"

"How're things going with your boyfriend?"

"Uh we broke up. He cheated on me."

"What?!"Right then a woman approached us with the most colourful hair. She had a lot of colours going on but she pulled it so well."Tessa?"

Tessa smiled after seeing her. "Remember the princess I told you about? Eleanor meet my wife Jane." I was finally glad to meet her. Jane and Tessa looked great together. "But introductions aside I need to listen to how can an asshole cheat on an amazing girl like you."

Then I told them the story of how I got cheated on by Terrence and later how I ended up at Vincent's place.

"Do you mind giving me Terrence's address I want to cut off his balls with a pair of scissors?" Tessa deadpanned.

"Calm down baby. I know it's bad but the roommate of yours sounds like a sweet guy. Tell us more about this Vincent," Jane said sounding eager.

"I don't know. We're just friends with benefits and nothing more. But he has been pissing me off lately."

"Nothing more? Are you sure? He got feelings for you girl." Jane confirmed.

I scoffed," Yeah right. See I know he tries to protect me and all but I feel like a burden to him. I have been staying over at his house for free. I bet the money I pay from my wage isn't enough to suffice the favour he has done for me. Right now, I really want to move out."

"You know what. Jane and I share an apartment with this guy because we're broke after the whole trip. His lease ends in two months. Maybe you can move in with us then? Also the rent is dirt cheap compared to other places in New York. Trust me on that," Tessa said.

"Really? I would love to do that," I said excitedly.

We spent the whole day together. We even went out for window shopping. After a long time I finally found some friends to hang out with. Lisa and I don't get to hang out much because Lisa has this other partime job as well.

I didn't even notice the sixty-five missed calls that I got from Vincent. They dropped me off at my place at around 2 AM midnight so it was pretty late. I entered the apartment to see Vincent's car parked near the entrance. Inside,  Vincent was on his phone. "Vincent? What're you doing here?"

He looked up at me with those sad eyes. "Eleanora?" He opened the door and ran towards me. "Oh my god where the hell were you? I looked for you everywhere. I was so worried. I thought you were-."

"You thought what?"

"Nothing. I am glad that you're back," with that he hugged me. I was quite taken aback by the gesture as I stood there motionless. Why does he care? I mean I was nothing but a burden to him. The person who owed him a lot of money and was probably the root cause of almost all the troubles in his life.

He is short of quite a few grand just because of me. His restaurant is almost on the verge of going bankrupt. I am sure the measly wage I get as a cashier barely covered any money I owed or even the cost of me staying here.

He let go off me only to wrap his arms around my waist. My heart was beating loudly against my chest. Why am I feeling like this? I don't know. But I knew for a fact that I shouldn't be feeling like this. "Please don't leave me ever. It gets pretty lonely here without you," he said in a shaky voice and then he kissed me on my lips.

Unlike the kisses we had in the past this wasn't full of lust. This kiss portrayed his longing for me. It was brief yet sweet. I realized then Vincent might just be a drunk since I could smell the alcohol in his breath."Let's get you upstairs. You must be hungry," Vincent said taking his hand in mine.

I had to help Vincent get on the elevator since he couldn't walk properly. Seems like he has been drinking after I left. Vincent usually isn't a drinker since I have rarely seen him drink in the past few months I have known him. The elevator finally opened to our floor and so I helped Vincent get out.

After unlocking the door I walked Vincent straight to his bed. Slowly I made him lie down on his bed. "I need you Eleanora. I need you so much. Please don't go anywhere."

"I'm not going anywhere. I promise," he looked like a little boy who was afraid to let go off his favourite toy. I just couldn't be mad at him anymore.

I lied down beside him for I was tired as I was out the whole day. Maybe if he falls asleep then I will go change my clothes. I looked at him to see him staring at me with his drowsy eyes.

"I hate my dad. He won't let me pursue my dreams of opening a restaurant because he needs someone to take care of his stupid business. If I fail then I have to go back to taking care of his damn business. I don't want to do that Eleanora. I tried taking care of his company but I felt like I was trapped in something that I didn't want to be part of. I used to hate myself for giving up on my dream and so I left his company and pursued my dream. Does that make me a bad person? Am I too selfish, Eleanora?"

"Absolutely not. You did the right thing."

"Here is an advice for you Eleanora- don't do something you are not passionate about. You will end up hating yourself," with that he closed his eyes. After some time he fell asleep.

I always thought after the Marcus situation dies down I will go to Eswana and resume my princess duties. But that thought never makes me happy. I never wanted to be a princess and my life didn't give me a choice to explore what I really wanted to do. I might go back to Eswana but I will resign. For the mean time I want to find out what I really want to be.

...