10

Richie had sat shivering on the bench for nearly ten hours when the bus finally showed up. He was so exhausted that he didn't even realize he left his journal behind.

At least, he didn't until he was an hour into the bus ride. He shot up out of his sleep, panicking.

"Fuck, fuck," he whispered, shifting through his bag. He didn't find the journal and was upset, knowing that he couldn't get back what he'd written.

It hurt Richie, but if Eddie was really alive, would he need the letters? They were there to make sure he never forgot Eddie and to remind him of what he lost. If Eddie was alive, he didn't need them, right?

Still, he liked having them. Maybe Eddie could read them and he could show how he really felt?

Richie doesn't ponder it too long, instead shifting his focus to how he's going to hopefully greet the love when he finally finds him.

•••

The other losers all woke up groggily, not sleeping well, knowing that one of their best friends was missing and they had no clue where he went.

Bev, Ben, and Stan went down to the lobby to check out while Mike and Bill followed with the small bags they had brought.

Bev made them follow later, telling them to steal the hotel shampoo and conditioner because it was the good kind. Everyone rolled her eyes at her, but it was a known fact that Bev was very adamant about getting her way.

"So, where are we supposed to look? We have no idea where he could've gone," Mike said once they exited the hotel.

He didn't get a response, since Stan took off toward a bus stop across the street. He picked something up and brought it back to the group, obvious worry on his face.

"Wh-what is it?" Bill asked, looking at what Stan had in his hand.

"It's Richie's journal. I gave it to him," Stan said, flipping through the pages. "He wrote an entry last night."

"Read it," Bev said.

She was pissed that Richie had been so close and they hadn't found him, but she knew Richie would have a reason for taking off. The journal could have clues.

October 15, 1989

Dear Eds,

I'm more hopeful tonight than I've been in a long time. I ran away, like I said. I thought I'd wander hopelessly, missing you, but then something happened.

I walked into a convenience store and met a young woman. She said she'd seen you earlier and showed me security footage. It showed a boy identical to you, and I doubt even a lookalike could be that close to you.

I know it's ridiculous, but I think you're alive.

The lady told me that you'd taken off with a man and woman to a town called Hawkins, so that's where I'm headed next, I guess. I don't know if you're really alive or if I'm choosing to believe it because I'm too terrified to truly let you go. It could be either, but I want you to be alive so bad.

I love you so much and I always have. If you're out there, I swear that I'll go to the ends of the earth to find you.

That's what you mean to me, Eds.

I hope you are okay. I want nothing more than to hold you close and to tell you that I never tried to give up. That I wanted you to be here. I never wanted to believe you had died, and maybe you're here. Maybe you're okay.

If you are out there, I'll hold you close and never let you go again. I'll bring you home to your mother so she can see her son again, and I'll make sure you never feel as lost as I have for the last couple of months.

I will make sure you know how much I love you, how much I need you, and I will give everything to protect you.

Eddie, you're my light, my life, my love. You're the only one I want, and I will never second guess that that's the truth. I will never let you fall again, I will never let you feel alone or afraid. I'll hold you when you cry, I'll wipe your tears, I'll shout in joy when you're happy. I'll go through it all with you and I'll never let you fall.

I'll catch you, I'll hold you close, I'll keep you safe.

I'm sorry I couldn't do it before, and if by some miracle you're really not dead, I swear I'll never let you get hurt.

I'm sitting on a fucking bench in cold ass weather waiting for a bus just because I think you could still be out there. It doesn't matter to me, and as I'm writing, I can't even feel the cold. All I feel is hope.

Eddie, you're the one. I know it sounds cheesy, but I fucking know you're the one. I know it's scary, but if you're out there, I'll show you that you are loved and the most amazing person in this shitty world.

Finally, I can see the sun shining through the clouds.

You are alive.

I never thought I'd be able to write those words and actually believe them. I do now.

Eddie, my love, I'll do whatever it takes to find you and protect you. I'll bring you home to the losers and we'll all keep you safe. No more fucking creepy clowns, no more of that.

Hell, maybe we won't even go home. Maybe we'll pack up and go to California like we always wanted. That way we will be safe for sure. We could call the other losers and all live nearby, go to school, and stay safe.

I know it's a lot to hope for, but I choose to believe it.

I hope to see you soon.

All my love,

Richie

"He's going to a town called Hawkins," Bev stated, rereading the letter. "We need to find out where that is."

"Is that all you got from this fucking letter, Bev?!" Stan snapped. "He thinks Eddie's alive!"

Bill shook his head. "Th-that's impossible. We watched h-h-him die."

"Maybe something else happened," Bev said, a determined look in her eyes. "We need to find the nearest convenience store."

"Why?" Mike asked, thinking they should try to get a bus to Hawkins.

"Read the letter again," Bev said irritably. "He said some lady showed him footage of someone who looks like Eddie, and it was convincing enough for Richie to take off to go find out for himself. Guys, if Eddie is alive and Richie went after him, we have to go too."

Everyone knew Bev was right, so they followed her into the nearest 7-11. Luckily, the girl at the desk seemed to be prepared for their questions.

"You must be friends of the depressed kid with the glasses," she said, immediately showing them the footage.

"Eddie," Ben said, looking at the boy on the screen, before the girl showed them the footage of Richie.

"The next bus doesn't leave for Hawkins until six in the morning tomorrow, but you might be able to get one to Leston. It's about twelve miles from Hawkins and it leaves in an hour."

"Thank you so much," Stan said with a wide smile and they all bought snacks from her.

The girl nodded and readjusted her name tag. It caught Bev's eye and she followed the group last.

"Kali?" she asked, reading the name tag.

The girl, Kali, nodded.

"Thank you for all of your help," Bev said before following her friends.

"Anytime," Kali said, even though they had already left.