Letter 8

Eds,

I'm so sorry. I'm so so so sorry. I had you within arm length and you still slipped through my fingers. How could I be so stupid and not jump a little quicker? God dammit, Eds, is the universe against us?!

I didn't sleep well when we got back. We're still in Hawkins, and damn, I miss you so much. I seriously thought I'd have you back with me. Not just you, but the you that remembers me. You yelled it at me. You knew who I was and you tried to come to me.

I thought only the doctor would stand in our way, but apparently we've got a fucking portal creator! Like, are you fucking kidding me?! I finally fight through a bunch of shit to find you and finally almost hold you again and some enhanced opens a portal out of nowhere and fucking pulls you through it! What the actual fuck?!

I don't even know whether to be mad at the world or impressed that it fucking created a portal to keep us apart. Mother Nature, I applaud your efforts to ruin my life, but please fuck off. I need my Spaghetti and he needs me.

Even though you're still away from me and could be literally anywhere in the world, I'm glad you're with other enhanced people. They're like you so they'll protect you. I also hope Georgie is with you, too.

Bill was really upset when we said the enhanced people had been taken through a magic portal and are probably millions of miles away, but I assured him that you'd protect Georgie.

I know you will.

That's just who you are.

I'm sitting at the breakfast table in Hopper's cabin, alone. I wanted to be alone so everyone else went into town. Bill called his parents to let him know that he's alive, but I don't think they really cared. He needs his little brother and I need you.

I just wish I could be with you, Eddie. I don't care if I don't have powers. I don't care if you're different now. I just want you.

I'm exhausted and aching, but nothing hurts more than my heart. I hope you're safe and secure, and that I can find you soon.

All my love,

Richie

•••

Richie closed the journal, sliding it away from him. He looked down at his pitiful breakfast: a soggy bowl of cereal that he gave up on in order to write.

Everything was still and silent in the house. The others weren't going to be back for another few hours, so he had time to cry or scream if he wanted to. Not that he really did want to.

To Richie, while he was lost and upset, he felt somewhat at peace. Eddie remembered him and wasn't being held by Brenner, so it gave Richie some sense of security. As long as Eddie wasn't in danger, Richie was satisfied.

He walked over to the main room and turned on the television but didn't pay it any attention. His mind kept drifting to Eddie, and he didn't try to stop it. He wanted to think about Eddie, and he knew Eddie was probably somewhere safe, hopefully thinking about him? Maybe wondering if Richie Tozier was at least okay? Did he even care?

Richie was ripped from his thoughts when the wind seemed to start blowing inside the living room. Papers began to ruffle on the kitchen tables making Richie turn around, confused. There was no fan on, no one inside with him...

He stood up cautiously when he saw it. A small, black dot in the air. If he knew better, he'd assume he was tired and that it was just his mind playing tricks on him. That theory proved to be wrong as the dot grew bigger and bigger, making the papers ruffle loudly. Richie fell backwards on the couch, stepping away from the spot in fear and confusion.

The dot grew and grew until two figures stepped out of it and it shut on itself. One of the figures was a man in his mid twenties with a straight face. The other one was...

"Eddie?" Richie asked cautiously, barely daring to believe it.

Thankfully, he didn't have to keep wondering, because Eddie ran straight at him and tackled him into a tight hug, burying his face in Richie's neck. It didn't take long for Richie to feel the tears from Eddie's eyes run down his neck, making him burst into his own.

"I missed you so much!" Eddie gasped out, crying and laying on top of Richie, not really caring what the other person in the room thought.

"I missed you, too," Richie whispered breathlessly, barely daring to believe that Eddie was actually laying on him, holding him, missing him.

"I'm so sorry, Richie! I shouldn't of ran off but I needed to remember you and I couldn't just let what seemed like a lifetime of memories disappear because some crazy doctor kidnapped me and I-" Richie cut off Eddie's ramble by clamping his hand over his mouth.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Richie whispered, resting his forehead against Eddie's. "I know that if you had remembered that you wouldn't have stayed here. I'm not mad and I don't blame you at all."

Eddie wanted to argue that he should've tried harder, but he heard Greyson clear his throat. Both he and Richie turned to Greyson, who was watching the whole conversation, looking very uncomfortable.

"Do you mind if we bring this back to the safe house? I don't care if he stays with us, so long as he doesn't turn us over to Brenner," Greyson said, standing in the small clearing in the living room so he could open his portal.

Eddie nodded and climbed off of Richie, grabbing his hand and pulling him up. He could tell Richie was slightly hesitant, but they needed somewhere secure to continue talking where they knew they wouldn't be at risk.

"Open go your magical black hole, my good sir!" Richie called out in a British accent, making Eddie giggle and smile brightly.

Everything felt right in the world. Richie had Eddie back, they were going to finally get to catch up and hopefully express their hidden feelings, and they were going to be safe.

They should've known it wouldn't last.