Parents

**Mentions homophobic parenting**

Valkyrie's eyes fluttered open as a wave of confusion hit her. She was in a hospital bed, that much was clear. There were monitors surrounding her but none were attached. What happened? She thought.

Valkyrie went to sit up but was stopped by the sharp pain the shot up her leg. "Ow." She winced.

A hand grabbed Valkyrie's hand suddenly, making her jump. "Val!" Carol exclaimed, relieved she could talk to her girlfriend. "Baby, are you OK? Are you in pain?" Valkyrie didn't reply but instead got caught in Carol's dark brown eyes. They were full of concern and care.

"I'm fine." Carol rubbed her eyes and stroked the hair away from Valkyrie's face. She seemed tired. Valkyrie glanced at the window and saw it was dark outside. She could faintly make out the stars in the black sky.

"How long have I been here?"

"Hours. You were taken here after the game." Carol hesitated. "Do you remember what happened?" Valkyrie thought for a moment untill what happened at the game came back to her.

"Yeah. That girl... my leg..." Carol nodded slightly.

"Amy told me what she saw. But only you know exactly what happened."

"I doubt that." Valkyrie said, rubbing her head.

"I don't. Val, Amy said it wasn't an accident. I believe her. It didn't look like an accident from where I was standing either."

"You were pretty far away. What did the doctor say?"

"They took an x-ray. Broken leg. It will heal though."

"Exactly. I'll be fine." Carol opened her mouth to object but Valkyrie cut her off. "Carol, I don't want to talk about this. Not now." Carol sighed and dropped it.

"I called your mum. Should couldn't make it because of-"

"Aiden and it being a few hour drive. I get it." Valkyrie said, avoiding eye contact.

"But she said she'll try visit. She sounded really worried."

"Were there tears?" Valkyrie asked, knowing the answer. Carol smiled and nodded.

"She over-reacts." Valkyrie said casually and rolled her eyes, smiling. Carol studied Valkyrie's carefree expression and couldn't help but feel envious of her family, again.

"She cares about you. You've no idea how lucky you are to have that." Carol almost whispered the last part. She stared down at the floor and fiddled with part of Valkyrie's duvet cover.

Valkyrie looked at Carol and recognised she was trying to block out a bad memory. She knew, first hand, sometimes repressing those memories was the worst thing to do.

"You never talk about them, your parents."

"There isn't much to say." Carol said, her eyes still glued to the floor. Valkyrie gently squeezed Carol's hand. She finally looked up.

"I think there is." Carol sighed. She had no idea where to start.

"I haven't spoken to my parents in a couple of years, since I came out. I knew they weren't exactly allies but I hoped they might see things differently. I hoped they would accept me. Everyone hopes that, right. But wishful thinking didn't help." Carol took a shaky breath.
"They didn't shout, at first, they just sat in silence. My dad left the house, without saying anything to me, and came back late at night. My mum tried to tell me it was a phase. That it would pass like an illness. But I think deep down she knew it wasn't like that. My dad knew.
"I heard them most evenings, while I was upstairs. They argued over me. They never shouted at me, they shouted over me. I don't know which is worse.
"The atmosphere changed around the house. It was exactly that: a house. It wasn't my home. My parents never told me to leave but it was clear they didn't want me around and I didn't want to stay. My mum rarely talked to me. My dad never did. So I packed up everything I could, and left. They didn't stop me.
"Luckily, I have Fury. He's an amazing friend. He let me live with him for a while but he liked to move around. I moved with him, I didn't mind, but after a while it started getting harder. Lots of different schools. Lots of different friends. I barely had time to get to know anyone. I think I liked it that way.
"But when it came to college Fury drew a line. He wanted me to be able to get through college, which is near to impossible if you're always moving. So he helped me get into Mar-Vell after my last one. He didn't leave me to fend for myself or anything. We still call each other and sometimes he insists on sending money. He's great. I'm lucky I have him."

"You have me too." Carol looked up to a blurry Valkyrie. Tears had formed in Carol's eyes and a couple had fallen down her cheek. Valkyrie didn't hesitate to wipe them away with her thumb. "You know that, right?" Valkyrie said, cupping Carol's face. She nodded. She didn't say anything in fear she would burst into tears. Valkyrie wouldn't have minded.

She pulled Carol into a hug and the pair clung into each other tightly. Carol hurried her head into Valkyrie's neck.

"I love you so much." Valkyrie whispered.

"I love you, too."