New flag

"Thanks." Carol muttered in confusion as she turned her parcel over in her hands. She closed the door on the young guy who gave her the delivery and wandered over to her bed.

Valkyrie was at practise, much to Carol's objection, leaving Carol in their room alone.

The parcel was adressed to her but Carol didn't remember ordering anything. She carefully opened the parcel and instantly saw an edge of a coloured piece of cloth. She reached in to pull it out as Carol saw more and more of the fabric she realised it was a flag. The lesbian flag.

Carol gleamed at the flag and made an educated guess on who had got it.

***

Valkyrie sat on a bench watching her team play an adequate game. She was beyond bored. Even though she didn't plan on admitting it, Valkyrie knew Carol was right. She shouldn't of come.

Valkyrie offered her team advice and tactics but her role was limited by her injuries. She could tell most the girls on her team pitied her and Valkyrie hated it.

"How you doing, Valkyrie?" Her coach asked as he sat down beside her.

"Same as yesterday and you're still making it sound like someone's died." Valkyrie replied. She saw her coach smile in the corner of her eye.

"I spoke to our previous, lovely, guests earlier." He began. Valkyrie knew where this was going. " And they're taking Brooke off their team for a while. That's all they're doing I'm afraid, it's not even permanent. There's nothing more I can do but you-" Valkyrie huffed in frustration and turned to face her coach.

"I don't know how else to tell you this, sir, I don't care." Valkyrie said bluntly.

"But-"

"I'm not kidding. I don't want anything to do with this or her. What do you want me to do, press charges? That wouldn't work even if I wanted it to. We're playing football. People get hurt."

"Not like that." Her coach objected but Valkyrie was done with the convosation.

"I should go. Untill my leg heales there's nothing I can do at practise." Valkyrie got up as abruptly as she could and limped away with the support of her crutches. Her coach watched her go, not trying to stop her.

"OK." He muttered.

***

"You wanna hear something crazy?" Carol said as Valkyrie entered their room. She put her bag on the floor and sat down on her bed.

"Sure." She said.

"This just arrived." Carol said, holding up the flag. "And I don't remember ordering it." Valkyrie didn't try to hide her grin.

"Really? How queer." Carol laughed and sauntered over to Valkyrie's bed with the flag in her hand.

"Thank you. I love it." Carol said before kissing Valkyrie lightly on the cheek. She sat down next to her and rested her head on Valkyrie's shoulder. "How was practise?"

"Alright...does me playing football scare you?" Carol lifted her head and looked Valkyrie in the eye, trying to read her expression.

"Where's this coming from?" Carol asked, confused.

"I don't know. I just...I was thinking about when I was in hospital and you were there, you looked really worried. Almost overwhelmed. I don't want that kind of thing going through your mind everytime I step onto that field."

"Everyone knows how rough things can be out there, especially you. You know the risks and I know you can take care of yourself. Yes, sometimes I do get worried for you. And when I saw that girl break your leg I felt sick. But that kind of thing is rare, right?" Valkyrie nodded. "I know that you didn't start or escalate anything. I trust that you wouldn't do that." Valkyrie smiled and rested her forehead against Carol's. "And I would never get in the way of something you love."

"Thank you." Valkyrie said, kissing Carol on the lips.

"Something like that will never happen again anyway." Carol said confidently.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yep. Cos if I see that something's about to go down again, I'mma stab a bitch."