Chapter 30 - Nighttime Gossip

Prophecy:

Order rises from its chains,

End cannot be restrained,

Heroes of the past face ancient evil,

The cost of life shall stop upheaval.

Allies will be unmasked,

And Death will be tasked

Previously

The campers instantly fell silent as they watched Theron approach the troubled Centaur.

"Thank you, Theron," Chiron smiled before turning back to the crowd. "Now Markos, what was it you had said?"

Markos was breathing heavily, terror plastered on his face. He took a few deep breaths before speaking up again.

"Manhattan," he panted. "I-It's asleep. Like the Titan War."

Now

It was quiet, nobody made a sound. In the distance, cicadas sang, making their shrill droning noise. At times, fireflies would make their presence known by illuminating their bodies. Birds sang, crickets chirped, all unaware of the new information that the demigods had received.

The half-bloods shuffled nervously, their faces paling as fear took control of their emotions. The Immortal Campers who had fought in the Titan War froze in their spot, looking upon the son of Hermes in disbelief. Their eyes glazed over as their minds replayed the horrific memories that the four-year war gave them.

Chiron's smile was wiped off of his face, it melted until it became a look of worry and concern. His tail flicked nervously as the information processed. 

"What?" Chiron breathed out, barely audible. Silence still had ahold of the crowd.

"Everyone is asleep," Markos tried to explain. "It's...quiet."

Theron himself remembered the eerie, unknown silence that took over on the day of the Titan War. Even in the early morning hours, Manhattan had been active. The fact that it was completely quiet had been a terrifying fact to find out. 

"What do we do?" a young camper asked, he looked about fourteen. He had dark brown hair and shiny silver eyes, like the color of a quarter. His eyes held terror, but he tried to put on a strong facade. Theron had always admired people who tried to help others. He tried to do the same thing when everyone turned to him.

"They're attacking Olympus," Annabeth said in realization. "Order and End are going to try and take over Earth, starting with Olympus."

The demigods looked at one another nervously. Would they have to leave their safe borders of home to defend the gods? Would they have to risk death to save immortal beings that would only reform a few centuries later? They didn't want to help. They just wanted to have a normal life. One that doesn't threaten their existence every day. But they knew that they had to. If Order and End took control over Earth, the planet would corrupt within days. 

"Then we defend Olympus," Theron stated. "The Commander and I are here to protect Earth. What you and your campers do is up to Chiron and the Praetors."