42. deep afternoon tea

Haven

The cream puffs were a success, so were the glazed lemon cookies and the brownies. The strawberry sponge cake felt strange in his mouth, he had admitted with his flushed cheeks and his voice barely above a whisper. The structure wasn't what he liked- he was honest.

Mum and dad, my brothers and Sarah had been rather quiet towards Zephaniah, I knew they were giving him space and time to get used to the unfamiliar area for him, to the people he didn't really know. It had seemed to work, he started whispering things to me more and more.

He thought the food was good, that the backyard was beautiful and he had noticed that the rumbling of the planes were less loud at his home. He wondered why there were more birds here, we had less trees after all. Maybe there was more food to find here?

"Maybe they smell the food?" He whispered again, not wanting to bother my parents, who were engrossed in their own conversation.

"Do you think they like cheesecake?" I questioned.

Zephaniah pulled a face, he quickly shook his head. "Too sticky, too heavy for their little stomachs."

I laughed a little, staring at the fringe that hung in his eyebrows. "You're right. I think they'd go for the cream puffs. Do you want another one? Does Cooper want water? We can fill a bowl for him, if you'd like?" I suddenly wondered, glancing at his dog, who rested his head onto Zephaniah's lap.

Zephaniah glanced at my parents, a light frown forming onto his forehead as he took a moment to process everything I had said. I wanted to slap my forehead for being so chatty. "Oh, is that- is that okay? I can maybe, uhm, wash the bowl afterwards?"

"Don't be silly." Standing up, I quickly made my way inside our house, not wanting to leave him on his own for too long, not really knowing if that would make him feel comfortable. Once the bowl was full, I stepped outside, noticing that Dad was trying a small talk with him.

Placing the bowl near Cooper, I smiled when he started drinking right after, Zephaniah whispering a quiet thank you.

"Your dog seems to be very attached to you, how long has he been yours?" Dad questioned. Right move, I thought by myself, knowing how comfortable Cooper made him feel.

Zephaniah swallowed down his, perhaps, sixth cream puff, wiping his mouth on his sleeve. The powdered sugar was now visible on it, he didn't seem to notice. "Eleven years, Haven's father." He answered politely, even when he didn't look him in the eye.

"Oh, great!" Dad answered sincerely, smiling at him. "That's a long time. What breed is it? Something with German Shepherds? I used to have two of those when I was younger."

His eyes lit up, he nodded quickly, staring at Cooper. "He is a mix. German Shepherd and Golden Retriever, he has both characteristics, loyal, funny, hyper, trustworthy." Zephaniah rambled, his cheeks reddening when he noticed it. "My favourite colour is yellow." He swallowed, pointing at Cooper's collar.

He's nervous. I thought, thinking about what Tara had told me once about Zephaniah telling his favourite colour is yellow.

"That's wonderful, Zephaniah." Mum smiled at him, I could tell she was being genuine. It made me happy. "Does he help you with certain things?"

Zephaniah took a sip of his drink, he needed time to think of his answer. I hoped the question wasn't too obvious, but then again, I really didn't know how things went in his mind. "I have Epilepsy. He senses my seizures.." He hesitated, glancing at my parents. "Makes me feel secure in situations I feel, uhm, anxious?"

"Oh, dude." Jude frowned, eyeing Zephaniah. "That's heavy, Epilepsy. Do you have medication or something?"

Zephaniah nodded, glancing at Jude. He didn't say more, I could feel his nerves. It made me sad. "Uhm," he stammered, looking down. "Pills in the morning. Is okay, I'm used to it."