68. cookies in an unknown language

Zephaniah

"Ben jij ziek? Mama zegt dat je ziek bent." A little hand touched my forehead, I frowned at the coldness, immediately waking from my restless sleep.

Opening my eyes, I pressed my palms to them for a brief moment, eyeing a strange, little boy. It startled me, but I was too exhausted to sit up straight and observe him, too hazy to think clearly.

"Gaat het goed?" He said, the unknown language- to me- not making any sense at all. He touched my forehead again, resting his finger against his chin as he looked thoughtful. "Hmm. Misschien moet mama de dokter bellen."

Mama was the only word I could make out, my eyes closing again. They were too heavy to keep open, even if I was extremely confused as where I had slept. Who's room was this? What happened? Recalling the seizure from last night, I had slipped in a daze after I had tried to wash myself.

After that, I truly didn't know what had happened. It scared me, it made me want to flap my hands, but since I had used all of my strength during my seizures, my hands wouldn't even move anymore. They hurt, they were cramping. My tongue felt swollen, everything limp but heavy.

The little, blonde boy shrugged, his blue eyes falling onto my face for one more time. "Ik ga naar school. Doei!" His little feet padded against the floor, the slamming of his bedroom door waking me up a little more, only to fall back into exhaustion.

My eyes kept falling closed- I couldn't keep them open. That alone, frustrated me. Tears welled up in my eyes. I felt miserable, I just wanted to be home with my parents and Cooper. Keeping my eyes closed, I got dragged back into the strange daze.

Everything twirled, bright colours appearing out of nowhere. Circles turned to squares, the different colours to black and white. Thoughts clouded my mind, several situations crossing as well.

It made me overthink, it made me sad. It needed to stop- I was exhausted.

More noises filled my ears, keeping me awake, yet tiring me out even more. They were loud, becoming louder and louder and louder until I stuffed my fingers inside my ears, wondering where my numbing headphones were.

I startled myself when I had whimpered, subconsciously. I gave up, I gave in, wanting to just fall back asleep. The door creaked, not letting me. I wondered how it could creak on its own, where was I?

"Do you want to sleep in your own bed? It's all clean now, much more quiet over there." The voice was unknown, but somehow, I agreed, needing my own, comfortable bed. She helped me up, hastily- I saw cars, trucks and firemen stuff littering the room.

I didn't like cars, I had never liked them. Where were the dogs?

Stumbling behind her, I sighed in relief when my head hit a pillow again. Except, that it wasn't my bed at all. Where were the black and white striped sheets? The softer, warm orange pillow? The warmer and not itchy covers?

"Sleep a little more. Your peers are gone already. I'm sorry you couldn't join them today.."

Join what? I was too tired, it was okay. I thought, the exhaustion not allowing my lips to push out those words. Sighing, I gave over, sleep taking me far away.

Stuffing my hands underneath my warm body, I exhaustedly opened my eyes when I heard her funny accent speak up closely to my ear. "Are you hungry, love? You have not eaten all day long and soon it will be dinner time."

Rolling over to my side, I eyed her for as far as my heavy eyelids allowed me, slowly shaking my head.

"You have to eat something." Nina gave me a sad smile, her warm hand finding its way to my cheek. She stroked it softly, it reminded me of mum. My eyes closed at the feeling, almost wanting to drift off to sleep again.