Our Promise/15/The Queen and Her Son

She couldn't help clenching her apron as she followed the Queen. The Queen walked with grace and showed nothing but elegance in her stance.

Mikan could only pray that she wouldn't get a public hanging for being with the Queen's son.

Please forgive me Jicchan. Mikan prayed.

Her heart quickened as she almost tripped over the red velvet carpet

"Relax child." The Queen chuckled as she glanced at her. Her smile almost reached her eyes. It wasn't enough to stop Mikan's heart from jumping. "I need someone to talk to and you look like a good listener."

What would I say?

She almost said.

"Is something the matter Mother?" Natsume stood at the top of the stairs in his uniform. Mikan's heart swelled at the sight. She remembered his hair that morning and it made her smile. But then the Queen spoke up and disrupted her thoughts.

"Nothing." She answered vaguely. Her lips were pressed tightly together as if there were tension between them.

Mikan wasn't completely sure what was going on with the two but Natsume mentioned something about how his mom was desperate to find a bride for his son.

She could tell that he was struggling to argue with her even if his expression was blank.

Natsume wanted to ask what she was doing with Mikan but that would jeopardize their relationship in all kinds of ways.

He had to be careful because.

One. She would definitely come to a conclusion, whatever it may be.

Two. She wasn't stupid.

Three. She doesn't know and Natsume was determined to keep it that way until he could make it work.

"I hope you don't give the maid a hard time." He risked saying but he made it sound like he was naturally confused and concerned.

"Oh, I won't. She's my company for today." She wrapped an arm around Mikan's and pulled her along to her side with an innocent smile on her face. "Anyways. It's none of your concern what I do with my maids."

Natsume's hand clenched in his pocket but his expression remained stoic.

Mikan gave him a small nod. There was nothing she could do.

Luckily, his mother didn't seem that hostile at the moment. At least to Mikan.

It looked like the Queen was done talking with her son because she pulled Mikan along down the hall in the opposite direction of the stairs.

She turned around last second as a mocking smile spread on her face.

"Oh! Natsume!" She grinned, "How's the love of your life doing?"

Mikan flinched at her words, as did Natsume.

Love of his life...? 

"Mother!" Natsume blushed furiously. "What are you saying?!" He ran down the stairs but stopped and took a quick look at Mikan.

She didn't react. 

Instead she gave him a small nod and a weary smile.

A sigh escaped his lips as his hand pressed against his chest. "Why would you say that out loud mother?"

"Doesn't it sound ridiculous?" The Queen faced Mikan. "Love of his life?" She laughed. "That won't last long, and you my son will find out soon enough. Let's go child."