Chapter 10

I finally figured out where the whole "Number One" and "Number Two" thing came from. It was just before finals when the ominous red slip was brought to me by a young soldier from the front office. They really make you nervous when they do that.

I kept getting teased by the guys about my 'summons' to see the General. I mean they give you an appointment time and everything. The bright red paper just screams 'you are in so much trouble' when it arrives.

At first I thought maybe someone had ratted us out for our sneaky overnighters in each others' rooms. Then I considered if it was against the rules to have a relationship in the school with another boy.

I checked the rule book I was given, even checked the website, but I couldn't find anything specific on there. It said you couldn't bring any girls onto the dorm property. I wasn't a girl; he wasn't a girl. I thought we were okay. Maybe.

The end of the day though, I had Vince check to make sure my uniform was still in good shape before I sprinted across the cold yard to the main administration building where I recalled the General's office was located.

I was ten minutes early just in case. I sat in the waiting chairs outside the office patiently after his secretary took my name. I could feel a bit of sweat on my back as I contemplated the possibilities of why I was there.

On the wall was a big list of names. They were hanging there for everyone to see. That was it. I skimmed over them and considered the numbers next to them. It was our ranking in the school by grades.

Vincent was Number One. I wasn't surprised. He was at the top of the list for the senior class and the grade average next to him was impressive. The merit points next to him were pretty amazing too. That explained that.

The true shocker to me though was the name sitting next to his. It was mine. There I was, top of the Junior class with a big Number Two sitting next to my name. I didn't think I had that great of grades, but even with one midterm mark stuck in the eighties, it was enough.

The door swung open and a rather fat man in a uniform came out first. He barely glanced at me and put on a hat before leaving. His coat was heavy for the weather, and unbuttoned when he left.

He left the door open too. It gave me a chance to see the General's annoyed expression and I watched him put away whatever files he had open on his desk at the time. He saw me waiting for him, but didn't acknowledge me until he was done.

"Come on in Mr. Kensington." He said to me. I got up carefully and went inside the door, waiting for his instruction. "You can close the door and have a seat."

"Thank you sir. You may call me Alex. Mr. Kensington is my father." I gave him a bit of a smile as I sat down, and he returned a tight one.

"Speaking of your father, that is the reason I called you in here today." He paused and I tried to keep the worried look off of my face.

"Is everything alright sir? At home?" I asked quickly.

"Yes, everything is fine. I received a message from your father earlier regarding the Christmas holidays. Now, normally the boys pack up and head home to spend them with their families. He has asked that we keep you here over the term break." The General was trying to say it gently, but had an annoyed look back on his face as he stared down at a file on his desk.

"I see." I replied. It seemed like he wanted some sort of acknowledgement from me, but I was a little stunned by the announcement. I thought about it for a full minute in silence, just processing it as the General watched me.

"Are you alright?" He asked me. I gulped and nodded.

"Sure. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise." I looked down at my lap, no longer able to meet his gaze.

"Yes, it should. There are a few things I need to go over with you before the break. If you wish to visit with a friend, that is permitted with both mine and the friend's parents permissions beforehand. If you stay here, you will be moved to the barracks at the base since the school closes during that time." The General got up and offered me an envelope, which I took with a nod.

"Thank you sir." I replied firmly.

"I will be making up sleeping arrangements one week before the break, so have your decision submitted to me before then. Those are the forms you will need. We will speak later." He dismissed me with a clap on my shoulder.

I left and carefully closed the door behind me, waving to the secretary who was on the phone with a smile. She nodded and smiled back. I made my way back across the compound quickly to avoid being in the cold too long.

A few freshmen were hanging out in the front hall when I came in and looked at me with wide eyes as I strolled past. I was still in my uniform, I probably looked depressed, and I was clutching an envelope from the front office.

The rumours were going to be awesome. That was all I could think as I bolted up the stairs to my floor. I knocked on Vince's door but kept heading down the hall to my room. I swung my door open and glanced over my shoulder as he came out in his pajama pants after me.

"Hey, everything okay?" He asked with a concerned look. I tried to smile, but my mouth wouldn't work.

"Yes? No? I don't know." I mumbled as I leaned against the wall. He started to help me take off my tie and unbuttoned my shirt while I stared off into space.

"Well, what did the General want? Are you in trouble or something?" He asked with a frown. I shook my head and just passed him the envelope so I could take my shirt off all the way. His eyebrows crinkled and he stared at me.

"It's fine. Open it." I said. I turned to the side as I slipped off my dress pants and pulled on a pair of sweat pants with my undershirt. He took out the papers from inside and stared at them intently.

"These are stay over papers." He stated while he watched my reaction.

"Yep. Good ole father strikes again. As far as he is concerned I am not going home for the holidays." I replied tightly. His face looked a little pitying and I couldn't look at it anymore. I walked over to my bed instead and flopped down face first.

"That's messed up. Hey, what about this permission form? What's this for?" He came over and sat next to me.

"I can stay at friend's house if the parents give the okay. Who do I even ask though? I've known everyone for what? Three months at best?" I sighed with exasperation. I looked up at him and he was grinning from ear-to-ear.

"Yeah? So? You can come to my place. My parents are cool. You will like them. My brothers maybe not so much, but eh." He shrugged and watched me light up. Was he really doing this? Inviting me over for Christmas?

"Are... are you sure? I don't want to be a bother." I mumbled hesitantly. He leaned over and placed a peck on my lips.

"Of course I'm sure. It's no bother at all. It'll be fun." He crawled in next to me and wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"Is it too weird though? I mean, we haven't been together very long. I don't want you thinking I'm that clingy type or anything." I leaned into his chest as he chuckled at me.

"Alex. Babe. I invited you. If anyone is being the clingy type, it's me. Like a koala on your back." He began munching on the nape of my neck and I shivered.

"Only much sexier." I murmured to him over my shoulder. I felt him smile against my skin.

"Yeah. Only waaay sexier." He growled as he crushed me to him even closer.

1427