Chapter 17

"That was Parker. He is going to a famous school for music. He is so talented. I miss hearing him do concerts like he did at our school." Jo was going on about this guy and I could feel the irritation coming off of Vincent like a heat wave.

"Do you remember that one time when Maxwell and Janey went up on the top of the announcer's box at the stadium to do a cheer before the game and Mr. Smithson just about had a coronary?" Zoe was laughing as a guy I couldn't remember the name of told the story with a reminiscing look on his face.

"I remember! Oh and didn't Vincent score the winning goal that game?" Mo was sipping her drink in between. I sat back and listened, since I had no idea what or who they were talking about. It meant I got to drink my Fog though, and it was actually really good.

"This is fantastic. I wonder what's in it." I licked the whip off my lip and stared into the cup.

"Easy. Shot of pumpkin spice, shot of hazelnut, shot of vanilla, shot of caramel, two bags English Breakfast and a ton of steamed milk. I used to work here. If I could get my hands on the stuff they make it with I don't think I'd ever pay for another." Andy snorted and glared at the cup she was holding.

"Wow. You still remember how to make it? I am impressed." Zoe looked at her with an expression that was almost worshipping.

"Of course I remember. I had to make the damn things a gazillion times over the holidays." She snorted again, this time glaring at my cup.

"Parker doesn't drink those frilly kinds of drinks. He is much more mature." Jo commented. Zoe nodded with her and looked at her 'frilly drink' as though she regretted getting it.

"Or boring." I heard Vincent say under his breath. I didn't react because I didn't think he wanted anyone to hear.

"Could you let me out? I need the toilet." I tapped his side with my elbow gently and he shifted out of the way to let me by. I walked into the small room at the back with three urinals and a lone stall. I unzipped and hurriedly unloaded the liquids I had been drinking since that morning.

When I was done, I washed my hands and looked into the tired mirror above the sink. Someone had put superhero stickers along the bottom edge of it and I smiled at the sight.

"Jo thinks he should have stayed with Parker." I looked over my shoulder at Deck as he leaned next to the door, not looking at me but off at the wall with a blank face. My smile faded a little. I didn't pretend I didn't know what he was talking about though.

"Yeah? Guess he didn't agree with her." I replied with a nonchalance I wasn't entirely feeling. I dried my hands with a paper towel and tossed it in an overflowing trash before making my way to the door.

"Most of us are still good friends with him, Parker that is. Just so you know. And there are always two sides to every story." He glanced at me as I walked by.

"I wouldn't know. Vincent never mentioned him." I flashed a fake smile in his direction as I opened the door. "Guess he didn't think it was that important."

I walked back into the café to see Vincent standing next to the table with a frown on his face as Joe talked with her hands gesturing all over the place. He shook his head and looked over with a sudden relief on his face.

"Hey babe, any longer and I was going to come in after you. We are going to be late if we don't hurry." He wrapped his arm around to my hip and I caught the look in his eyes.

"Oh really? Sorry, I wasn't watching the time. It was such a pleasure to meet all of you." I smiled gently at the others at the table, most of whom wouldn't meet my eyes as they fake smiled and nodded to me. I could feel the tension in the air as we turned and walked out of the café.